My thicknesser bed is rusty

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apply a coat of paste wax (Bison, Briwax, etc) and leave it on (as in don't buff it off when dry). Should make a big difference.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Another way would be to spray it with Boshield T-9. When going to use the thickness planer wipe the bed with a clean rag or paper towel and start using it.

You need to be carefull using stuff like mr sheen if it contains silicone as it can cause problems when it comes to finishing it it gets into the wood.

jon

I seem to be getting this problem with all my cast iron, I have insulated the workshop so maybe it'll stop, or not be so bad now.

As a budget solution there are polish's that are advertised as being silicone free, would these help?

I just went to Tesco to see what I could find, and this seemed to be the only possible answer there. In Bedford we have a lack of decent suppliers, so......

Any suggestions? How much is Briwax, and where do I get it?

ta,

Neil

I use a machine cover made from Goretex with magnets in the corners to stick to the machine, so far I've not had any troubles despite having a draughty damp garage with no insulation at all.

Aidan

I keep a waxy rag in an airtight jar and dribble a few drops of white spirit on it every so often to keep it supple. I wipe down tools and tables with it and it has always worked fine for preventing rust.

There was a posting on here last year whereby the author had wired up his CI machinery to a LV system and claimed it worked 100% against rust and damp but unfortunately I can't find it to post a link. :(

Rich.

Rocal do a very good Moisture guard, a Rustshield spray, and a Dry PTFE spray for use on machine beds. The PTFE is also excellent for saw blades, circular or band. Can be got from Axminster Tool Centre. One other thing, (prevention) mostly, wood being run through the thicknesser is wet, so the bed should be vacuumed frequently and certainly when you have finished. Left overnight, wet shavings will start the rust process.
John[b

Asda used to sell Briwax, in the household section.
Don't know if they still do. I had my tin for some years, as I only use it for the tables on my machines!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I use this stuff for everything. Its the dogs 'nads. It cleans and protects cast iron and aluminium surfaces and lubricates moving parts. My car wouldn't start one morning, so I sprayed a blast of this stuff up the air intake and round the distributer and bob's yer uncle I was mobile again :D My local country sports shop sells it for cleaning shotguns (£10 for a 750ml spray can, lasts ages). It doesn't contain silicone and doesn't leave a residue on the workpiece. HTH

Back