My slow project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owd git

Established Member
Reaction score
I have taken an interest in a musical instrument namely the autoharp. As a pensioner on a very limited income I cannot justify purchasing a new one.( I have just bought a new keyboard £1000).Now so to the project, I am going to make one. I decided not to buy new wood but to source the timber from an old piano. My friend and I bought an old German upright for£40 he took the top, sides and front panel for a fireplace project, and I took the pin block and sound board for mine. I may use the tuning pins also as they are in good condition. Knackered my arm and shoulder taking the pins out. ( The pin block is two different woods laminated and as solid as Accrington face brick.) At this point may I pay tribute to the Craftsmen who built this piano everything about it was first class work, and I hope I can do them proud recycling their materials. My posts on the project will be very slow in coming as I am buying tools as and when I can and I am very limited for space to keep everything also will be working outside when weather permits.
Finally there is a lot of good wood in an old piano but a lot of pain and hard work retrieving it. Regards to all Charlie. :D

Sounds really interesting I look forward to seeing your (slow) progress ;)

I've got it in my head to make a dulcimer and your idea of recycling old piano fixings is a good one.

I know these old pianos are well constructed and very heavy as I helped my mate shift one recently and progress was very slow. Families years ago would have likely taken out a good size loan to purchase one of these. Nowadays you can have them for nothing if you are prepared to shift them as they are unwanted and difficult to get rid off. Changed days indeed!

Mike

Did say slow project but been working on Caravan improvements as well. So where I’m up to.

Picture one tuning pin board as taken from piano. It had four inch square frame glued onto the back that I removed with a mallet and chisel (Aldi Chinese one must say it was well up to the job).

Picture two is a section through the pin board. (cannot identify the wood).

[URL=http://s1233.photobucket.com/u...f389/bracken4/SAM_03402_zps67cbb059.jpg[/img][/url]
Picture three the frame cut to size. The yellow is veneer that I need to steam off.

[URL=http://s1233.photobucket.com/u...f389/bracken4/SAM_03432_zpsd8209b67.jpg[/img][/url]

Picture four A friend gave me a log of Mahogany? That I had cut to planks that I hope to join together plane up and sand for the back.
Hope to do more soon. Regards Charlie.

[url ][/url]

Footdoctor":tp1aevlr said:
Frame definitely beech. :-|

Thanks for that. A bit off topic but I see you hail from Heptenstall. Do you remember David that thought he was a roundhead and used to charge about on his horse with all the gear on and waving his sword about :lol:

Latest posts

Back