My second band saw box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnandp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I thought I would post a couple of pictures of a band saw box I have just finished. I'm after some advice on finishing. I'm going to use finishing oil, however I would welcome advice on how to complete the process ie the last couple of coats, how do you get that really good finish? I was thinking probably 4-5 or maybe 6 coats de-nibbing in-between coats.

Any advice / constructive criticism welcome!

Thanks for looking

John

Attachments

• box1.jpg
    box1.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 282
  • box2.jpg
    box2.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 282
  • box3.jpg
    box3.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 282
  • box4.jpg
    box4.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 282
John

I like the box, I make a few of these as gifts during the winter and like you I wasn't sure how to finish.
Eventually after trying a few different finishes I settled for a coat of shellac sanding sealer followed by a couple of coats of beeswax, really comes up with a nice shine.

Give it a try and see what you think.

+1 for shellac. The beauty of it is that you can apply several coats very quickly and then cut it back/burnish it to whatever level of sheen you want. This is what I do for anything that does not need a highly resistant finish. It has the advantage that the sheen level is permanent. If you cut back and then use wax to bring it up to the required sheen, this will be only be temporary because the wax perishes over a few months and the finish can only be restored with more wax.

Jim

Thanks folks,
I did choose to finish the box with finishing oil in the end.
Came up ok.
I'm going to brave the shellac on my next one! (The fear of the unknown)
Regards
John

Attachments

• IMG_20131205_225904.jpg
    IMG_20131205_225904.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 163
Hi waka,

Pretty sure it was 4 coats using the 0000 wool between the coats. The trouble with finishing is the workshop is not the best place because of the dusk and the missus is never too pleased when it's done in the house. Time to build a finishing shop! Yea, right!!
I'm finishing another box made out of tulipwood, you think the shellac would be any good for that as I've tried the oil on a test piece and the colour a bit greeny (will post a picture this evening) just a bit unsure about the process with shellac. Don't want to wreck the box!
Regards
John

Johnandp, that's a superb job you've done there. May I ask what band saw you did it with?

I am looking at hobby band saws at present and any information |I can get will help with final choice. I am not really sure which manufacturers to avoid, or are they all 'reasonable' ?

Alex

Johnandp":3kg4rc5w said:
Hi waka,

Pretty sure it was 4 coats using the 0000 wool between the coats. The trouble with finishing is the workshop is not the best place because of the dusk and the missus is never too pleased when it's done in the house. Time to build a finishing shop! Yea, right!!
I'm finishing another box made out of tulipwood, you think the shellac would be any good for that as I've tried the oil on a test piece and the colour a bit greeny (will post a picture this evening) just a bit unsure about the process with shellac. Don't want to wreck the box!
Regards
John

John

I tend to use a shellac sanding sealer first, then as many coats of shellac as you think it needs. You can either buy shellac already mixed or you can distill your own . Don't be afraid of it, as has been said you can add lots of coats quite quickly then cut it back to how you want it to look. You certainly won't ruin the box.

There is plenty of information on the net about using shellac, best to have a look there if you're not comfortable.

Let us know how you get on.

Alexam":2x8tvaz4 said:
Johnandp, that's a superb job you've done there. May I ask what band saw you did it with?

I am looking at hobby band saws at present and any information |I can get will help with final choice. I am not really sure which manufacturers to avoid, or are they all 'reasonable' ?

Alex

Hi Alex, thanks very much. I feel my woodwork has a long way to go yet! I'm using a Elektra Beckum BAS 316G I bought it second hand and I've been very pleased with it. I'm not sure they are made now but metabo do a newer model now but I'm not sure how good it is.
If you are feeling really brave you could make your own (woodgears.ca) he is a very interesting chap. (he sells the plans for his bandsaw)
I did look on ebay and there is an EB for sale at the moment if that's any use.

Regards
John

Hi Waka,

This is the box in question (Still needs a lot of sanding!)
new box.JPG

I think the grain is quite nice.

new box 2.JPG

I've done a little test with some button polish (that's shellac, right?) and some finishing oil

oil v shellac.JPG

Button on the left finishing oil on the right.

The more I look into French polishing the more questions I have!! ha ha.

Can you explain the sanding sealer? Does this seal the grain then the shellac sits on top and gives the colour?

Regards

John

Attachments

• new box 2.JPG
    new box 2.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 60
  • new box.JPG
    new box.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 60
  • oil v shellac.JPG
    oil v shellac.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 60
Baldhead":2cnnpfc0 said:
That is very nice, I also like the finish, well done.

Baldhead

Thank you Baldhead. I promise it will improve as time goes on! Ha ha.

Back