My recent turnings

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gitface

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Its been a while since I posted any pictures so I though It was about time for another bunch.

This first one is a spalted Sycamore (or Chestnut) hollow form, it's my first hollow form and the first thing I turned after having surgery on my arm. The wood had gone a bit soft and it broke out at the knot, so I had to fill this in. Used a combination of wood glue, instant coffee and purple hart sawdust.

When I remounted it had moved and I got a few bounces that have left a ring on the neck :(

Finished with BLO and buffed on the lathe.

&

Next one of my clients was having a clear out of bits of wood and gave me some. This was a piece of Mahogany that looked to have a nice grain patten on the blank. Finished with a couple of coats of sunflower oil.

&

I've been getting into the pen turning a bit of late and have decided to give it a go at selling them. My site is M.T. Pens it still need a few bits here are there doing to it but the main part is up.

Here are some recent pens that I've not listed yet.

First up I a Euro pen in Cocobolo. I really liked the way the gain patten
stands out in this wood.

Purpleheart Euro, must say I do like Purpleheart, the colour is really good, although it took about 5 or 6 days to change from the fresh cut brown to purple.

This one is Willow that was cut down about 6 months ago, from a branch the rough size of the one its resting on. Again a euro style pen.

This one is a piece of cross cut elm as the log had some split at the end. The top is a bit bigger just after the band as a side effect of my calipers opening as I was doing this batch of euros, resulting in having to remount the pen after I'd put the top on :(

&

This is a piece of laburnum (second attempt as the end had started to spalt a little. Again this is cross cut as I wanted to get the full light and dark to show.

And finally a fountain pen and rollerball pen set. These are down in cross cut spalted chestnut, which I think gives a really nice patten. Only problem I had with these was with the band. In the instructions it says to 'cut away the blank to show the tube then put the band on, yon might need a bit of glue to hold it in place.' There was definitely no glue involved as I had to sand the tube down to get the band to fit.

&

All comments welcome,

Cheers,

Mark..........

Why Pens MT mark ? - Don't you have refills for them ? - Bading ! Tish

ok,

Lovely Magog Bowl. Very nice, and great finish, The pens are very nice. I love the cross cuts ones especially the Laburnum.

And nice website too !

Back