My newest toy (Woodbloke need not read)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrimTheKing

Established Member
Reaction score
So with the recent arrival of Tiny Trimble II I haven't been in the workshop in anger for a couple of months now and now I need to get back in there and complete the build of the bed for my daughter that I started months ago.

I have been procrastinating and convincing myself that the main reason for my lack of action is that the joining of the headboard needs too much thinking and planning time to get the tenons in the right place (various angles involved).

Well a mate of mine was heading to the local tool emporium for a trade day on Wednesday so I gave him a shopping list and sent him off to do my bidding and negotiating. He has a good relationship with the owner and after a couple of hours of texting back and forth, agreeing a price, then prising a couple of extra bits out of the rep he brought this round to me in the evening...

IMG_3077.jpg

Domino, trim stop, cross stop, extra cutter and a bag of Dom's (not in pic as he left them in his car) for the reasonable deal price of £529. Still a lot of cash but not a bad price and if I decide I'm nopt using it enough it will make most of that back I would imagine.

So, now with having this coming week off for my annual birthday week, I am under immense pressure to prove to the wife that it truly is the saviour of my woodworking and will end the week with a completed (or near enough) bed...

Cheers

Mark

Congratulations on both new arrivals, what a great way to compensate yourself to make up for the sleepless nights ahead - wish I'd thought of it!

Excellent price! 8)

Be careful though, or else the rest of your workshop may soon start to turn black and green...! :? :wink:

Ah the slippery slope!

I certainly don't regret mine - word\s of warning - "reference face." Took me a few goes before that penny dropped - thankfully before I ruined something.

Is that price including vat? (me thinks it's excl vat) - good price either way.

There's a book (pdf) on the web somewhere - worth reading before hand.

Dibs-h":ioqyx3hz said:

Nope, that's the VAT inc price :D

Will have a look for the pdf, if you find it can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Mark

TrimTheKing":1mz83xkq said:
Dibs-h":1mz83xkq said:

Nope, that's the VAT inc price :D

Will have a look for the pdf, if you find it can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Mark

Jammy sod - bloody good price! :lol:

http://www.festoolusa.com/Web_files/Get ... achine.pdf

It's 7 odd MB.

OK, I may not have seen previous threads on Dominos so please excuse me if I am bringing up old questions. I am an owner of 2 Festool tools, but I had only come across these Domino thingies since reading a few threads in here.

So my question is why are they so superior to say a biscuit jointer?

I have a biscuit jointer but would have to risk divorce if I went for one these, judging by the cost of it! :-({|=

cheers HM

Cheers Dibs/Chems

Will have a read of them before I use it in anger.

Hawk - It's slightly different in that it cuts a deeper mortice so you can use floating tenon's (these are the Domino's) so it's like a biscuiter but I guess in theory creates a slightly stronger joint while still giving the same level of alignment as a biscuit jointer.

TBH if I had a biscuiter I'm no sure whether I would have gone for this as it's v expensive but I do have a biscuit cutter for my router which cost me £14 and that has done my biscuit needs so far so this will hopefully make my joinery go that bit quicker...

And, I really just wanted it ;)

Aha, okey doke! So I guess they are just pucka biscuits/loose tongues then! 8)

I think I will quickly reverse out of here then!

cheers
HM

TrimTheKing":3q3frq7h said:
Cheers Dibs/Chems

Will have a read of them before I use it in anger.

Hawk - It's slightly different in that it cuts a deeper mortice so you can use floating tenon's (these are the Domino's) so it's like a biscuiter but I guess in theory creates a slightly stronger joint while still giving the same level of alignment as a biscuit jointer.

TBH if I had a biscuiter I'm no sure whether I would have gone for this as it's v expensive but I do have a biscuit cutter for my router which cost me £14 and that has done my biscuit needs so far so this will hopefully make my joinery go that bit quicker...

And, I really just wanted it ;)

Back