My new Workshop, WIP!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TornUp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So, it has been a long time coming, but finally, my workshop is on its way!

In short, the base is going to be a raised base covered in 18mm OSB with a 10x13ft metal shed on top!
Because it is a metal shed the inside is going to be insulated and all walls will be boarded..
Thinking about going with a 2 full length benches down each side configuration with a mobile bandsaw/table saw stored at the far end..
Other bench tools are going to be on a “side in module” system in which the will be stored under the bench then slid into a “dock” built into the top of one of the benches when required, Except the pillar drill.

It should be quite a fast initial build log, my timeline is as follows:
Today/tomorrow – ground work.
Saturday – finalise groundwork and receave Wickes order of materials for the base.
Sunday – finalising any loose ends, and planning / dry run of base “pillar”
Monday – build the pillars
Tuesday – base woodwork and weather treatment of materials.
Wednesday – finalise base woodwork and position onto block work pillars
Thursday – installation of the floor sheet material
Friday – shed construction
Saturday – shed construction
Sunday – finalise last min bits
Monday – relax and enjoy my newly build(but empty) workshop!

The rest of the construction will continue from there on a slower monthly basis.

If anyone has any questions or comments about something I might have overlooked, let me know! Would rather fix it before it becomes a pain in the buttocks to access!
Photos to follow!

Tom!

sounds good to me. A wood burner would be a good addition to keep you warm in the winter :oops: . Good luck with the build, lets hope the weather is kind to you.

Not sure about your choice for the base, i think i would prefer to use ply or T&G for strength, I have found that OSB is reasonably easy to put a hole in by dropping something heavy and compact.
Best of luck with your build, dont forget to put the pics here for us to see.

TornUp":123f97rz said:
with a 10x13ft metal shed on top!

Is this shed the Yardmaster type? I had one of these (10 x 13) and it was awful. Hot in the summer and freezing in the winter, and condensated all the time. So, I insulated it, as you say you will do. I fixed battens using Tek screws, then 100mm loft roll type insulation throughout. Then lined with ply. Was fine to start with, and the ply added strength and an inner wall to fix to. Within 18 mths the roof had rusted through and the walls were going fast. My method of insulation just trapped the moisture and rusted the roof from the inside. I ripped it all down and built a timber cladded cabin. No more problems. I've also got a 5 x 7 metal shed of the same type, insulated the same way, and that's also rusted away. It's getting replaced later this year.

Hope this helps.

MARK.B.":1ijubgl0 said:
Not sure about your choice for the base, i think i would prefer to use ply or T&G for strength, I have found that OSB is reasonably easy to put a hole in by dropping something heavy and compact.
Best of luck with your build, dont forget to put the pics here for us to see.

+1 OSB flexes like hell too

Back