my new workshop blog

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like it, looks to be a great workshop from what you can see from the pictures. Your new website is very nice too.

Thanks for the support. I'll put some workshop tour photos on the blog soon.

Dan

Paul Chapman":24crpz6c said:
Some very nice stuff on your website, Dan.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

+1. One thing that I immensely dislike is "design: xxxx" or "design by: xxx". I feel it has no place on a commercial website.

Other than that - very nice.

Dibs

Dibs-h":1yfhp55y said:
+1. One thing that I immensely dislike is "design: xxxx" or "design by: xxx". I feel it has no place on a commercial website.

Other than that - very nice.

Dibs

Thanks for the comment. Can you explain why?

Dan

I was always taught that a website is no different to a glossy magazine - say a Conde Nast publication - albeit interactive. Layout, colours, etc. - the thinking behind these isn't any different to the print world.

Ever read a glossy magazine that says "printed by: XXX" on the bottom of each page? The publisher would be livid. And the audience would think "cheap pineapples!" Would you send wedding invitations out and allow the printers to say "Design & printed by ZZZ"? Why is it that the cheap business cards by Vista (with their ad on the back) are thought of as cheap compared to the Premium cards?

I feel if your site is devoid of sponsorship\ads - then it should not have a "designed by XXX" on the footer. If you feel there is value in the reciprocal link then you could just as easily put it on a separate page called Links, along with whatever else is you think is good\useful. Even if your site is showing advertising - I'd still move the designer to a Links page.

In the print world - and whilst the electronic world does have some peculiarities (I'd probably say enhancements in terms of functionality) - credits, etc. are kept to their own page. Not on the bottom of each page.

Sorry - not dissing anyone, just my 2c worth.

Dibs

Ahh, I thought you were talking about who designed the pieces in the gallery. You mean the website designer in the footer. Point taken. There are still a few tweaks to make to the site, so I'll include that one. Thanks Dibs.

Dan

Thanks for dropping by! I'll take some photos of my workshop and post them up soon.
Dan

Latest posts

Back