My New Clifton 5 1/2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarddownunder

Established Member
Reaction score
Currently a Graphite Clifton 5 1/2 is being passed around for comment and feedback is being written in another thread. So as not to confuse things I thought I'd start another thread with thoughts on my Clifton 5 1/2 including a few pictures as there seems to have been much discussion and speculation about this brand as it has changed ownership (and colour). I'm not qualified to do a review - just a hobbyist so take what you will from these comments. I have used a few planes over the years and made a few too. I haven't got a LN or Veritas equivalent but I do have an older Clifton with which to compare it.

In Summary (for those who don't want to read the waffle)
I take my hat of to the guys who made this plane. It's both beautiful and very functional. Its a step up from my old Clifton #4 which I thought was very good. I'll be keeping this plane and passing it on to my son in years to come. Based on this, the Clifton brand has a rosy future and are well deserving of the support of woodworkers who care for excellent quality tools. BTW, I have no affiliation with TF or Clifton and live at the other end of the world so am fairly unbiased!

So, out of the box, wrapped in brown anti-rust paper (well packaged from Woodworkers Workshop).

First impression
*It s a heavy beast!
*As it turned up before work, I couldn't help but try it out without any sharpening. It took pretty fine shavings with no tuning whatsoever.
* It looks really good - the graphite does look a treat and the finish of the paint/japaning or whatever its called these days, is pretty flawless - better than my BRG #4.
* The body casting again is flawless (apart from the tiny ding I put in it :twisted: )

Closer look
After work, taking it apart, well, let pictures tell the story... it was rather a bright day so no disguising any flaws. I couldn't really find any though.

[*]The machining of the outside surfaces and sole is very nice and the polished areas add a touch of class
Clifton 5 .5.JPG

Shiney bits.JPG

[*]The rosewood handle and front knob are very well finished and very comfortable
Rear view.JPG

[*] The frog and the machining in the body of the plane is well done and flat - its not polished but why would it be? The finish, to my mind, is very good. The design seems to have changed since I bought my #4 plane and looks a lot better now.
Machining.JPG

Frog 3.JPG
Frog 2.JPG

[*] Everything fits together extremely well. There is no slop at all in the lateral adjuster and about half turn backlash on the yoke. This plane has the new brass yoke. Looks good although the edges of this tiny casting are a bit rough.
Frog 1.JPG

[*] The Iron is a work of art. So nicely ground it seemed a shame to put it to the stone. The iron felt quite hard when I lapped the back but fortunately its dead flat so lapping only took a few minutes on a very blunt diamond stone to achieve a fairly mirror finish (needs a little more work, but I'm keen to get on with trying it). A 30 degree micro bevel and we are away.
Blade.JPG

[*] The cap iron fits together well with no slop at all. The grinding (on the sides) is good if not quite as good as the rest of the plane IMHO, no sharp edges or burrs though. The marks are just some oil, the surface finish is actually pretty good.

Capiron.JPG

[*] Adjustment is a piece of cake and we are making extremely fine shavings. It feels solid and the handle is comfortable. I tried to take this photo of a bit of Rimu to show the silky smooth finish. I don't know if it really comes out and I have yet to try the plane out on a Sapele board which will be much more of a test. Still, considering that is only 5 minutes flattening and honing...I'm impressed.
IMG_2218.jpg

oops, got the rotation wrong.

I hope that is of some interest. As you can tell, I'm thrilled to bits with my new toy.

Attachments

• Rear view.JPG
    Rear view.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 2,204
  • Frog 1.JPG
    Frog 1.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 2,203
  • Frog 2.JPG
    Frog 2.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,204
  • Frog 3.JPG
    Frog 3.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,204
  • Blade.JPG
    Blade.JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 2,203
  • Capiron.JPG
    Capiron.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 2,203
  • Clifton 5 .5.JPG
    Clifton 5 .5.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 2,202
  • Machining.JPG
    Machining.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 2,204
  • Shiney bits.JPG
    Shiney bits.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,204
  • IMG_2218.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 2,203
Thanks for the post. Good to learn that quality of finish and functionality is present. An update in due course once you've planed that Sapele would be welcome.

Looks a beauty Richard. Nice to see the quality has been upheld or even improved by the new owners. I have several Cliffies and will be looking to add to my arsenal shortly.

Lovely Richard! Really pleased to see the new yoke/y lever. Also paint tidy, a good sign, now if they get the brass screw level on the knob we'll be in business! Enjoy and more pictures please.

Yes, good to see the brass yoke has taken the backlash out a half turn from the one I inspected. It's a cracking plane really, and will do the job well.

Nice review and pics. I'm pleased to see that the frog finish has improved, particularly the yoke as the one on my 5 is a dog's dinner - maybe I'll be able to swap it out? Overall it looks like the finish has improved quite a bit - well done Thomas Flinn. Never thought I'd say this, but... I think I prefer the grey now! Enjoy your new plane!

Thanks for posting Richard, I love the picture of the brass adjusting wheel. It's these details you will only find on a Clifton! Hand made not mass made! I like the Clifton because it has soul, I enjoy using my Veritas they are superb but the Clifton just smells of Sheffield.

Alan Reid the founder of Clifton is a past Master of the cutlers company http://www.cutlerslondon.co.uk his influence is so evident in the polished livery, which I feel is now set off even better with the new Graphite.

New blade, new colour, new Yoke, not a bad for six months work from being taken over by Flinns, I think it's fair to say they are moving the company forward and good for them.

For me I know if I had the money I could buy a Porsche and it would be fantastic but I would buy an Aston Martin ever time.

Cheers Peter

matt_southward":21qnj0cl said:
Nice review and pics. I'm pleased to see that the frog finish has improved, particularly the yoke as the one on my 5 is a dog's dinner - maybe I'll be able to swap it out? Overall it looks like the finish has improved quite a bit - well done Thomas Flinn. Never thought I'd say this, but... I think I prefer the grey now! Enjoy your new plane!

Matt I have just ordered some Brass Yokes for resale, we have always stocked the old style cast ones as a spare part.

Cheers Peter

PS - but why oh why are they still using that domed front screw?! It's the one thing that really really bugs me on mine - just a constant nigglely scratchy thing. Oh well.

Peter Sefton":2umx95fn said:
Matt I have just ordered some Brass Yokes for resale, we have always stocked the old style cast ones as a spare part.

Cheers Peter

Peter that would be fantastic! I'm presuming the castings are otherwise unchanged for fit? How long until you have them? And what about a replacement flat front screw whilst we are at it? ;)

Great news.

matt_southward":13depm4s said:
Peter Sefton":13depm4s said:

Cheers Peter

Peter that would be fantastic! I'm presuming the castings are otherwise unchanged for fit? How long until you have them? And what about a replacement flat front screw whilst we are at it? ;)

Great news.

Matt I only placed the order this afternoon so I am not sure about the delivery date yet I believe the next batch of castings are waiting to be done.

I have been passing on feedback from the Passaround and Flinns are keen to work on improving the range as they have been.

I know from taking over an established business myself and working through all the new hurdles it takes time to settle down. These things do take a little time to work through the system but I do feel the future of Clifton is in safe hands.

Cheers Peter

That's ok Peter - no rush at all, I'll keep an eye out. I appreciate what you say about the time it takes for a new acquisition to be reconciled and changes implemented. From the look of these pictures I have to say I'm impressed with the progress they've made so far. I bought my Clifton because at the time I wanted to support a British business and British craftsmen, and even if I was a bit disgruntled at the few niggles I had with it, I'm still glad I did for those same reasons. It's really good to see what Flinn are doing, and that we still have a bit of quality coming out of Sheffield. Long may it continue.

Cheers, Matt

Wow, that's a lot of replies, thanks for the interest and comments.

I had a go at planing some sapele. The wood fell of the back of a lorry, literally, when we moved house the bedhead slid off onto the road and just about caused an accident. So, it was full of scratches and dents. I knocked it apart and thought I'd use it for jewellery boxes. I find sapele quite a problem to plane even with an ECE smother at the higher (50 degrees? blade angle). Maybe its just me but it doesn't often come out perfect and I usually scrape it at the end. Anyway, I attacked the wood with an old Stanley #6. I was going to get a Clifton #6 but felt I wouldn't use it much and a 5 1/2 would be a better bet, but I spied an old (~1930's, USA) Stanley on a local auction site so thought I may as well get it..it was fairly cheap. I spent a weekend tuning it up and was quite pleased with it - I thought. It made a real pigs ear of the sapele. No matter how I tried it just ripped out the grain. OK its not a smoother so maybe an unfair test, but the blade was sharp and the mouth set fairly fine.

I tried the Clifton and to begin with was a bit disappointed. Still a bit of tear-out. So re-adjusted the mouth and gave it another sharpen and bingo, no tear-out at all. Nice full width shavings if not as thin and wispy as I've seen.
DSC09802.JPG
DSC09803.JPG

Considering I haven't really made a particularly good job of the back of the iron, just the 5 minutes a couple of days ago, I'm pleased - it'll only get better.

DSC09809.JPG

Here is the result - any marks are from the Stanley - to me it really highlighted the gulf between a run of the mill plane and a top quality one.

sapele.JPG

One question, the brass screw holding on the lever cap has rather a loose thread fit. I wondered if that was done intentionally?

I didn't mention the lever cap before but again its a step up from my previous #4 in terms of detail and finishing. Its really very nice.

One other correction to my earlier post, the lateral adjuster does have a small amount of play, I guess that has to be or it wouldn't easily fit through the iron.
Cheers
Richard

Attachments

• DSC09802.JPG
    DSC09802.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 1,070
  • DSC09803.JPG
    DSC09803.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,070
  • sapele.JPG
    sapele.JPG
    190.5 KB · Views: 1,070
  • DSC09809.JPG
    DSC09809.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 1,070
matt_southward":64c3jqnv said:
Peter Sefton":64c3jqnv said:

Cheers Peter

Great news.

Matt, agree that the front screw could be lowered, or not domed but to be honest I can't feel the screw head on my hand when I'm using the plane. Maybe its because its new and smooth and the screwdriver slot is mint. Could you just smooth your's on fine emery paper (stating the obvious which you have probably done, so sorry if its a dumb suggestion :oops: )?

Nice photos :). To add an extra dimension to both the Stanley & the Clifton have a play with the cap irons, surface finish is very easy to control when using it. I'd agree that the domed screw could be changed by the end user but having seen the improvements shown on this plane I'd be surprised if Clifton don't have this tweaked very soon to save us the trouble.

richarddownunder":3j6lofi5 said:
Matt, agree that the front screw could be lowered, or not domed but to be honest I can't feel the screw head on my hand when I'm using the plane. Maybe its because its new and smooth and the screwdriver slot is mint. Could you just smooth your's on fine emery paper (stating the obvious which you have probably done, so sorry if its a dumb suggestion :oops: )?

You're right of course, though it does depend on each individual's grip/hand size etc (not that I grip hard at the front). I have rubbed down the screw head a little but not really tried to sort it fully. Mainly because for a while I thought I might sell the Clifton and so didn't want to change it unduly (and I did think of just changing the screw for a flat head). It was this attention to detail - or lack of - that disgruntled me a bit with such an expensive plane (see my comparison to WoodRiver), though it does look like Flinn are going to sort it. Interestingly - and by way of feedback to Peter/Flinn - from an end user's perspective, I would say I would now be more likely to buy Clifton again whereas in the past I didn't think I would - if I could ever afford one again that is! So I would say the changes have been positive. I admit I was a bit worried when I heard about the buy-out, but it really does look like Flinn are raising the bar on Clifton, which is really good news for British hand tool users.

IMG_2257.jpg

Spent another 10 minutes on the back of the iron with a water stone. Almost a mirror - didn't seem to improve the cutting performance which was already pretty good. Worked well on some maple, but then again maple isn't too much problem usually.

Cheers
Richard

Attachments

• IMG_2257.jpg
    IMG_2257.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 983
Back