My May Bowl Entry W I P

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
This is how I made it :mrgreen:

Start with blank on a 4" face plate
IMG_1044.jpg

Start to shape bottom
IMG_1046.jpg

Include chuck spigot
IMG_1048.jpg

Sanding sealer and polish
IMG_1050.jpg

Reverse onto chuck
IMG_1052.jpg

True up front face and hollow bowl section
IMG_1053.jpg

Mark out 8 divisions
IMG_1056.jpg

Drill holes and cut slots by hand with a fretsaw
IMG_1057.jpg

Sand each division buy hand
IMG_1058.jpg

Mask out divisions to be dremeled with a rotary burr
IMG_1060.jpg

Ebonies with Chestnut spray
IMG_1061.jpg

Clean up fluffy bits with a radial bristle brush
IMG_1064.jpg

Pyro the rim
IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

1 section laced with silvered copper wire
IMG_1071.jpg

IMG_1072.jpg

Reverse onto Cole jaws and remove the spigot
IMG_1073.jpg

and end up with this :mrgreen:

IMG_1076.jpg

Thanks for looking :wink:

Wow, well I'm impressed though I'm not sure I like the colour. Personal taste though.

How did you do the pattern on the divisions. One minute they're masked off and the next they are patterned?

Hi

I used this
IMG_1089.jpg

with this hand piece

IMG_1090.jpg

and this rotary burr

IMG_1090.jpg

Re the colour

Everyone who has seen it has loved it , some people look and say " Is it Bronze " when you tell them its wood they are surprised

It was very difficult to photograph and looks a lot better in the flesh

Built up with 4 different colours of these

IMG_1092.jpg

Thanks for asking

:mrgreen:

Inspiring work!!

It inspired me to buy a set of those jaws (I eventually found them listed as 'button jaws'). I wondered how you guys manage to remove the spigot.

Thanks for the WIP.
Your bowl looks great. I love the metallic look you`ve achieved.It might have looked good applied all over to give a sort of "what`s it made of?" effect.
Was the paint brushed on?
I like the silver laced section too. Any particular reason why you only did it in one place? (I`m guessing it was for artistic effect rather than a shortage of wire :) .

Ian

Thanks Blister. That must have taken a while.

I'm sure it does look better in reality.

Thanks for the WIP - always good to gain an appreciation of what is involved in achieving a complicated result

It is certainly a very original piece. Whilst I liked it I have looked at is repeatedly and it strikes me as slightly schizophrenic.

To my mind the top side does not seem to relate to the underside. I feel the underside would have benefitted from a modest band of the similar finish to the top, probably on the bowl section rather than the underside of the rim, to tie the two facets together. I do like to see the wood as sometimes so much work is done to convince the viewer that they are looking at a piece of something else such as pottery etc. rather than the "honesty" of being wood!

I didn't "get" the lacing as it appeared in just the one division and would have liked to see slightly more - but clearly this contradicts the comment of our Judge, Barry. Why just the one piece of lacing?

Notwithstanding my comments it remains a very striking piece.

Thank you for the pictorial, it always helps to be able to see how it's made rather than just seeing the finished piece.

Leo

Back