My latest effort..

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulH

Established Member
Reaction score
Just posting my latest attempt at turning a bowl.

I think the wood is chestnut and it was finished with 3 coats of danish oil and two coats of wax. The dark line around the rim was burned with sand paper to add a decorative detail. (It wasn't intentional :oops: but I liked the result, so didn't attempt to remove it! :) )

Regards,
Paul.

PaulH":tc2ov1r3 said:
...I think the wood is chestnut.. Paul.

It certainly looks like Sweet Chestnut Paul, a wood I like quite a lot for it's dramatic figuring, I don't know how thick the rest of the structure is but the thickness of the rim edge goes a long way to making the bowl look light weight. I'm also happy with the burnt rim highlight, I think it draws the eye to the thin rim and is a bonus.

Thanks for the kind comments.

CHJ - the thickness of the whole bowl is similar to the rim and hence overall it is quite light.

Paul.

PaulH":2hzh3ffm said:
[

IThe dark line around the rim was burned with sand paper to add a decorative detail. (It wasn't intentional :oops: but I liked the result, so didn't attempt to remove it! :) )

Regards,
Paul.

I found that one by accident as well but with paper towel. Can look good when done by pressing the paper into a narrow groove. it burns both edges but not the middle. Make sure you have plenty of paper though or you end up with the smell of scorching flesh :cry:

Nice piece. Like the shape and it isn't an attempt, it's a bowl. An attempt is the bits that fly past your shoulder or have irretrievably holes through the bottom or side :D

Pete

Latest posts

Back