My Latest Complete Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky9cat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I'm new to the forum and after receiving help with my planer technique problems I thought I'd share some photos. This is my latest work completed a couple of months ago. I'm mainly into Americal Arts and Crafts stuff.

This hall cupboard is based on Gustav Stickley's sideboard No. 802. I found the drawings in R.W.Lang's book Shop Drawings for Craftsman Furniture. I changed the plans so that it fitted my hall and I also added cupboard doors.

DSCF0005white2.jpg

DSCF0009white2.jpg

It's made from Croatian Oak, finished with boiled linseed oil and then waxed. The hardware is from American Furniture Design co. and is a copy of the hardware Stickley used.

Unusual aspects of this piece are the bowed legs. Yes they are thicker in the middle and thinner at the tops and bottems - this is not a photo distortion! Also there is no rail above the drawers, only the top - most chest of drawers have a rail and then the top.

I'm currently working on chest of drawers and I'll take some work in progress pictures to keep you posted.

Cheers

Lucky

Very nice indeed - am a big fan of Arts and Crafts stuff, I particularly like the finish - oil and then wax which is one of my favourites, tho' it does take a long time for the oil to dry, 'specially if you use a few coats - Rob

Thanks for posting the pictures, very nice. :D

Some of those rays are good, how did you get the Croatian Oak? :^o

Hi and thanks for the comments.

DaveL, I got the Croation Oak from a local firm in Waterlooville called Goodwillies. Initially I was after American White Oak but couldn’t find any boards with decent ray fleck. I then recognized a fellow I had seen working at Edward Barnsley’s Workshops on a visitor’s day I attended. He was sifting through the Croation stuff and I thought if it’s good enough for him … Goodwillies are very good in that they let you sift through the stacks of timber – I spend two or three hours picking out the best stuff. They think I’m
a bit picky
! So one bloke told my wife! Sifting takes two people so don’t go alone!

Woodbloke, yeah the oil and wax finish takes ages. On that subject, I read somewhere that both faces of the wood need the same treatment to avoid future problems of warping and cupping. Hence, I finish all my work with oil and wax on both the inside and outside. It takes ages. Am I wasting my time? What do people think, please?

Regards

Lucky

Lucky9cat wrote:
oil and wax finish takes ages

It surely do, but worth it IMO. Some years ago I made a english oak coffee table about 1m accross the flats and the top about 30mm thick. As a little experiment, I finished it with linseed oil and then some wax (a la Alan Peters) and was mildly surprised when it put it hands up after a quart of oil/turps had been slurped onto it and said ...'oi, mister..please, no more'. If I recollect, it took about 3 months to apply the oil and a further 4 months for it to dry and harden off. I eventually gave it to my daughter for her student house in Southampton, where its not even worth trying to describe the assorted bottles, cans, old coffee cups, ancient greasy plates and other student paraphenalia that got dumped on it...am pleased to say tho', that it coped admirably - Rob

Latest posts

Back