My First Router - Advice Please...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Degas

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve been a DIY’er for many years and, having begun to read woodworking forums, I realise that I’m something of a dinosaur because I’ve never owned a router. I’ve begun to search for a suitable one but am finding that I’m out of my depth and so I’ve decided to seek the guidance of the helpful members here.

I like to own decent tools and am not therefore trying to find the cheapest, although I don’t wish to spend more than about £100 if it can be avoided. Only because I recognise the name Makita, I’m wondering what you think about my looking at this one:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11851/Pow ... 40V-Router

I also realise that I shall need some bits and, because I don’t know what I shall need, I’m wondering whether it would be a good idea to buy a comprehensive set of cheap ones that I can experiment with until I know what better ones to buy. What about this set:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/30pc-1-4-TCT-WOOD ... 7C294%3A25

Many thanks in anticipation guys - I shall welcome your advice and ideas.

David :)

I just bought that Erbauer - seems to have very good reviews on screwfix. Looking forward to getting hold of it!

I've been looking at routers in the same sort of price range and it seems that there are very few that accept the 1/2 inch collet and get decent reviews by users. I couldn't find anything other than the Erbauer that would've suited my requirements...

Shultzy":1cxuxfac said:
Degas, you might be better off with this one as the Makita only has 1/4 and 3/8 collets. The Erbauer is more powerful, I have one and used it for building my workshop.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/95675/Pow ... 00W-Router

Regarding the bits, buy what you need when you need them, as most sets contain bits you might never use.

Thanks Shulzy - I've just read some of the excellent reviews on Screwfix and will consider this. My reservation however is that it may be too heavy and powerful for the types of work I anticipate doing, ie., forming edges of shelving etc.

I'm an OAP and not as fit and strong as I used to be.

David

ste_5150":kx2ikrk8 said:
I just bought that Erbauer - seems to have very good reviews on screwfix. Looking forward to getting hold of it!

I've been looking at routers in the same sort of price range and it seems that there are very few that accept the 1/2 inch collet and get decent reviews by users. I couldn't find anything other than the Erbauer that would've suited my requirements...

Thanks, Reading reviews on Screwfix, I'm confident it's a good machine but it is a bit of a monster weighing in at 7.3kg.

As an OAP, I qualify for 10% discount at B&Q on Wednesdays, so I'll go and handle a few, as I hadn't previously realised routers were so heavy. I do understand though that most of the weight will be born by the workpiece.

David

please stay away from own brand power tools. erbaur is screwfix only so of course there forum gives good write ups. you cannot get spares for them, spend a bit more and get the triton of ebay, or the big dewalt. buy own brand goods! buy them twice.

Degas":2nni0yaz said:
Thanks, Reading reviews on Screwfix, I'm confident it's a good machine but it is a bit of a monster weighing in at 7.3kg.

As an OAP, I qualify for 10% discount at B&Q on Wednesdays, so I'll go and handle a few, as I hadn't previously realised routers were so heavy. I do understand though that most of the weight will be born by the workpiece.

David

Hi David

I've got that Erbauer router - it's great for heavy duty work (I use mine primarily for cutting worktop joints), but it would be pretty useless for lighter work - far too unwieldy. What about a DeWalt 621 - it has good dust extraction and would probably be more suited to what you want. You can pick up re-conditioned ones on e-bay for reasonable money - i'm going to get one myself sometime soon.

Cheers

Karl

Oldman":29ztn00k said:
Degas, save yourself some money if your going for the 1/4" Bosch.

Amazon have the next model up from your choice at B&Q for quite a bit less money.

Bosch POF 1400 ACE Router £54.99 delivered. See it here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001E4EJ6M

HTH

Thanks very much Oldman and well spotted :)

I've already got an account with Amazon and have found them good to deal with, so I'm going to order one.

David

Well just before you order (although Amazon are great with returns) wait till others who have maybe personal experience of these models to offer advice on the suitability etc, I do note that these are 1/4" models where most seem to prefer 1/2" ones, so maybe get more advice before jumping in ;-)

Oldman":16tn557c said:
Well just before you order (although Amazon are great with returns) wait till others who have maybe personal experience of these models to offer advice on the suitability etc, I do note that these are 1/4" models where most seem to prefer 1/2" ones, so maybe get more advice before jumping in ;-)

Thanks Oldman, I seldom make snap decisions and will wait awhile but I do think a 1/4 will be big enough for the type of work I want to do.

David :)

You need to seriously consider the small Triton. It's over your budget but a gem of a router and will last you a long time.

I'm with Wizer, the Triton is the best around.

Ebay item no: 120444739078

Ending in 6 days.

wasn't there an issue with Triton going bust a while back ?
I note their website is still up , can you still get spares etc ?

regards
JIm

Oldman":2obv00h2 said:

I've had this router for a couple of months now. Used it a fair bit for mouldings/rebates...

It really is very good! It feels right when using it. It's got more than enough power (I used mine to cut worktop joints). It feels well made and the attatchments are solid when in use.

For a first router, i think you'd be very happy.

I've had a play with some 1/2" routers. If you're primarily intending on doing lots of heavy routing (worktops, trenching, wide moulds..) then their fine. For more detailed work (dovetails, delecate mouldings, small rebates, jig work ...) then a 1/4" is best.

HTH.
Bryn :D

Degas

Where exactly are you??

Cos I have the elder brother of that little Bosch (nice tool) and the big Triton ( plus a couple of cheap screamers) you are welcome to visit & view.

I live in Loughborough

Edit
Actually my Bosch looks nowt like that although the number is very similar

Thank you pren and lurker,

I have now ordered the Bosch and am looking forward to playing with it :)

Your kind offer is most welcome lurker and I'll be in touch if I encounter a problem.

David

Amazon are now out of stock, price is still £55 but "Usually dispatched within 1 to 3 weeks." So anyone wanting one will have a little wait.

Latest posts

Back