My first REAL project - labour of love, literally...!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary S

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

Thought I would post a piccie of my first proper sizeable project - building a cot for my new born daughter. I had to persuade my wife (and Mum!) that it would be a good use of my time rather than just buying one, and now it's finished I'm really pleased with the result.

I used Oak and finished it with a few applications of Danish Oil. I also made sure it was built in accordance with the safety standards for cots (minimum / maximum widths between slats, height etc etc). It has two heights - currently it's in the highest position.

Quite a challenge for me but it made the most of all the tools I've been buying and sneaking into the garage...! My SIP 10" x 6" Planer thicknesser came in particularly handy...

Hope you like it, but more importantly I hope my baby Phoebe likes it and sleeps soundly in it!

Cheers

Gary

IMG_1032.jpg

Cracking! A great project, well done.

Adam

Lovely project something to be proud of.

In a few years time the baby will realise what a clever dad she has and will want it for a family heirloom.

Les

:tongue9: Fantastic Gary!

Right on time too :D

Did you follow a plan or is it your own design?

PS: where's the WIP pics?

WiZeR":22igkkg7 said:
:tongue9: Fantastic Gary!

Right on time too :D

Did you follow a plan or is it your own design?

PS: where's the WIP pics?

Just about on time...! It has taken me a month or two to do it, but Phoebe will be in her moses basket for a good few weeks yet... So will you be making one for your new arrival? :lol:

I loosely followed a plan in a woodworking mag (name escapes me, but it was one I picked up in a bundle at the Ally Pally show - perfect timing...!) - it was particularly useful for the 'regulation' information. I wasn't worried about the Cot Police coming round and confiscating my handywork, but at the same time I wanted to make sure it was as safe as it could be.

Unfortunately there aren't really and WIP pics - shame on me :oops:

I started to take some but then just wanted to crack on with finishing it! My next project (not sure when that will be given baby's arrival!) will definitely have WIP pics...

Lovely, everbody seems to be giving birth around me so could be a next project. really nice
Owen

Lovely Gary and so much better than a bought one eh? Not only the enjoyment of building, but the pleasure when your daughter is old enough to understand what here daddy did for her when she was a baby - that can't be bought :wink:

Gary - fantastic project, well done. I suppose you and SWIMBO did have a look at the price of a wooden (probably pine) cot in the 'babysheds' and realized that a far better one in a much superior timber could be made for about a third the cost :D Thumbs up =D> - Rob

Congratulations - beautiful piece of work. Wish I'd done the same for our first. We bought a cotbed, changing table etc, and I've since seen beautiful homemade versions on the forum.

Maybe next time!

Well done,

Drew

woodbloke":20m9pc0m said:
price of a wooden (probably pine) cot in the 'babysheds' and realized that a far better one in a much superior timber could be made for about a third the cost

Absolutely - much cheaper and made from solid oak, not some kind of pine or 'white' wood!! Still took some persuading with SWMBO that it was a good idea but she's delighted now it's finished.

dlowry_uk":20m9pc0m said:
Congratulations - beautiful piece of work. Wish I'd done the same for our first. We bought a cotbed, changing table etc, and I've since seen beautiful homemade versions on the forum.

Maybe next time!

Well done,

Drew

Thanks for that - I guess that's what really drove me to building the cot - I wanted to create something that was special and ideally would be passed down through generations. I would have loved it if my great, great grandad had built a cot that my family had grown up in - hopefully this cot will become such an item! Either that or my daughter will grow up hating it and use it for firewood :shock: :shock:

Gary S":325stiex said:
Either that or my daughter will grow up hating it and use it for firewood :shock: :shock:

No, no! As one who makes things yourself, you'll treasure all the more the scribbles she does for you, then the pictures she draws, the cards she makes for you.....and she'll grow up to love and treasure all that you make for her.
And it gets better - by the time you make her first bed, she'll be old enough to tell you what she thinks. As Tony says, it's a pleasure that can't be bought.

Back to the cot......very nice indeed :)

Dave (getting nostalgic....)

Gary would it be rude to ask costings? Wood mainly

Lovely job, Gary.
Excellent work. I love oak, anyway, so no contest, really. Making it yourself wins every time with things like that.
Enjoy putting it to good use now.

SF

Back