My First Lathe...A Nova Comet II

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteG

Established Member
Reaction score
My first lathe arrived yesterday, a Nova Comet II variable speed. Haven't had chance to use it yet, been making a bench which still isn't finished, but not far off.
It has 3/4HP DC motor with a speed range from 250 to 4000rpm, plus reverse. It's very well finished, a smooth casting with no sharp edges and a lovely paint job.
The banjo and tail stock run very smooth and lock solid, and the two centres meet perfectly [ I hope that's the correct terminology ].
It's very quiet when switched on, but the instructions do say to run it for 30-40 minutes to allow the bushes to wear in, which I did. Hopefully I'll get to have a proper
play tomorrow.
I also bought a set of mini chisels, Toolpost's own, made by Hamlet. I went for the Robert Sorby sharpening system, and a Record Nova G3 chuck set, plus a few other
bits and bobs. Can't wait to try it all out, but I'll have to watch a couple more videos, again!

Attachments

• Nova Comet II 256.jpg
    Nova Comet II 256.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 2,309
  • Nova Comet II Bench 256.jpg
    Nova Comet II Bench 256.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 2,309
How are you getting on with the Lathe now you've had it a while. Where did you buy it by the way?

It is a great little machine, we bought one last month for the club having seen the one Peter had at the Toolpost, it ran for two and a half hours almost non stop and was used by fairly novice turners as well. At the end of the evening the motor felt barely warm compared to the Jet 1014s which you could almost cook on.
We got it off Amazon (at Peter's recommendation) and it looks as though they still have some, they are supplied from NOVA.

Dave

Back