My first larger items

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikec

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Here are a couple of items I have made since I got my Record CL4.

I thought that since I pass comments on other turner's work I had better put some of my own up for comment.

The first is in "rustic" ash and the second is a sycamore platter made for my wife to decorate with pyrography.

Both are just under 300 mm in diameter. The ash bowl is finished with sanding sealer and Carnauba wax and is about 40mm deep. The platter has no finishing, just sanded to 600grit and about 35mm deep.

I'm slowly getting the techniques sorted for handling crossgrain without ripping chunks out. I have resorted to the 80grit gouge to remove some stubborn patches :shock:

Sorry if the photos are not too good, I'm just getting the hang of it :?

Regards,

Mike C

Very nice Mike,

Love the platter, looks perfectly flat !

Loz

Just looked at the Record CL4 it is one nice lathe.
I like the platter as well..The finish looks great, will try
Carnauba wax when I manage to get to my lathe...
Pics are fine..
:lol:

Nothing to be ashamed of resorting to the 80grit gouge Mike, there are many a piece on prominent display that have had the same treatment and nobody's any the wiser. Try moistening any problem areas next time, sometimes it swells the fibres and lubricates the cutting action reducing tearing.

Both pieces expose the character of the wood well for the intended purpose, the Ash lets the grain structure shout out and the Sycamore has just enough shading to compliment any decoration applied.

That Ash bowl is my kind of thing Mike. Looks like a little bit of quilting in it as well. You have every right to feel proud of it.

Anybody would be proud of these Mike. The photos look great - I've followed Tam's instructions to the letter, opened my Photobucket account and saved my stuff, but I can't capture it to import into a post. I'm impressed that you've cracked it.

Lightweeder":u42uv0ns said:
......, opened my Photobucket account and saved my stuff, but I can't capture it to import into a post. I'm impressed that you've cracked it.

Lightweeder, you need to select the appropriate link option that will give you the equivalent of this code, (Mike's first picture)
Code:
[URL=http://s492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/mikec_047/Platter/Ash%20bowl/?action=view&current=IMG_0872.jpg][img]http://i492.photobucket.com/albums/rr282/mikec_047/Platter/Ash%20bowl/th_IMG_0872.jpg[/img][/URL]

Hi again Lightweeder, further to my PM. Another mistake is using the URL tag above the forum message box.

The tag you copy - paste from Photobucket already has the tags included.

PS - Just checked it ain't that. :roll:

Thanks for comments Guys (and Mrs Sliver)

Tam the Ash is from a number of "rustic" planks I got about 8 years ago. Most of them are near the pith and have split or warped badly. I am thinking of cutting them up and joining them to make decent size blanks.

Regards,

Mike C

Latest posts

Back