How to avoid tearout on turned platter?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shan

Established Member
Reaction score
Help! I've been asked if I can make a platter and if goes well could be my 1st paid job. So want to get it spot on. Have been given the wood, cherry and all cut to size. It's square however and I don't want to take any chunks off the corners. Measures 340mm square but 480mm opposing corners. Maximum I can spin on the lathe. I don't need to sand or finish as the client will do this. Has to be hollowed out to approximately 15mm deep. See fotos. Any suggestions appreciated. Thought I'd sand just the corners. Good idea or not? Regards Shan
20230213_150736.jpg
20230213_150716.jpg
20230213_150658.jpg
20230213_150658.jpg

Attachments

• 20230213_101854.jpg
    20230213_101854.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I think it looks pretty good. You can cheat to avoid that though. If you use a paper joint, you can glue on sacrificial strips to protect the edges. Once finished, use a stanley knife to score along the join, and crack the scrap off. Bit of flat sanding to clean off the glue. Also makes it easier to sand a square bowl as the leading corners don't get rounded over and remain crisp.

Meant to say. The top and bottom fotos are a platter that has been finished...not by me tho!

Take care. Last time I turned something made up of 'staves' it went really well until it didn't. It all seemed secure but as I got deeper the thickness of joint between the sections got less, all of a sudden I had a very out of balance 2/3 plattter shaking the lathe along the floor and a big chunk of beech launched towards the door. Fortunately I was out of the line of fire.

Maybe keep the rpm low, or use the sacrificial piece idea above making sure that any joints go at right angles - ply or mdf might be a good idea.

Help! I've been asked if I can make a platter and if goes well could be my 1st paid job. So want to get it spot on. Have been given the wood, cherry and all cut to size. It's square however and I don't want to take any chunks off the corners. Measures 340mm square but 480mm opposing corners. Maximum I can spin on the lathe. I don't need to sand or finish as the client will do this. Has to be hollowed out to approximately 15mm deep. See fotos. Any suggestions appreciated. Thought I'd sand just the corners. Good idea or not? Regards Shan View attachment 153360View attachment 153361View attachment 153362View attachment 153362
Use a proper edged tool and not a carbide replaceable tip. Better cut, less sanding, just ensure it’s well sharpened.

If you haven't done any square bowls/platters before I would suggest you practice on some smaller pieces. You will need to present the gouge correctly and maintain a good technique if you want to preserve the edges and corners.

Use a proper edged tool and not a carbide replaceable tip. Better cut, less sanding, just ensure it’s well sharpened.
Dave, thanks for the advice. I started off with a 5/8" bowl gouge then a 1/2" bowl gouge. Finished with a 3/4" round nose scraper. Didn't touch it with a carbide tip. Was difficult on the corners especially not getting any catches. In the end I didn't get the perfect curve but the guy seemed pleased enough to ask me to do two more platters. Cheers
If you haven't done any square bowls/platters before I would suggest you practice on some smaller pieces. You will need to present the gouge correctly and maintain a good technique if you want to preserve the edges and corners.
Paul. Yes I hear what you're saying. Being relatively new to turning I found the square platter a challenge. Especially the further out I got and cutting fresh air. The client has asked me to do two more platters and don't worry too much about the corners. He'll finish them off. Sanding and finish. Cheers

As others have said, square edged stuff is tricky. Well done for getting two more commissions! How do you find access to wood and woodturning tools/equipment in Portugal? I've looked for suppliers for my son who lives in Portugal but there isn't much I've found!

I struggle with getting the tool's razor sharp and the delicate touch is elusive but good advice, cheers.
Adding the sacrificial buffer really helps with this if you are struggling. In an ideal world, tool control would be perfect etc, but this way makes it easier when starting out. Once you have finished and removed them, the purists need never know! Also, once you have made a few square bowls, you will find you need the extra bits less and less.

As others have said, square edged stuff is tricky. Well done for getting two more commissions! How do you find access to wood and woodturning tools/equipment in Portugal? I've looked for suppliers for my son who lives in Portugal but there isn't much I've found!
Thanks for the encouragement, must add I did a couple of walnut platters today & I'm getting the hang of it. Not going right out to the corners so easier.
For tool's and equipment re. Lathe I went for a 2nd hand lathe here in Portugal. Living just out of Porto in the north. Not too sure about Lisbon or the south but there's a tool shop in Porto that I bought a set of gouges and they sell new lathes also. They are called Jones Ferramentas. No eBay here so after some looking on Olx and Custo Justo eventually found a heavy old 3 phase model that does the business. More than happy to help your son if he wants any advice. Fortunately I use wood from home or sourced locally like neighbours and friends but can be a bit hit and miss as to what I get. I'll try and find the link to the tool shop I've used.

Also, once you have made a few square bowls, you will find you need the extra bits less and less.
So true. The last one I did today came out pretty good. I'm not going right out to the corners so easier. The walnut one's I made today bit harder than the cherry ones. Cheers

Thank you, Shan - that's a great link. I've sent it to my son. He's just over two hours away from Porto. He's looking at getting a table saw as he and his partner have just bought a house and it needs new windows and doors that he wants to make himself. I'm not sure if there is as well equipped a tool shop any nearer to him than this one.
Cheers
Stewart

Thank you, Shan - that's a great link. I've sent it to my son. He's just over two hours away from Porto. He's looking at getting a table saw as he and his partner have just bought a house and it needs new windows and doors that he wants to make himself. I'm not sure if there is as well equipped a tool shop any nearer to him than this one.
Cheers
Stewart
Here is another link. They are based in Lisbon and although I've never visited the shop I did buy an electric planer that was a proper brand and good price. Free delivery over €50?? I think. Bit like Screwfix. Unfortunately Brexit has put a stop on them selling to Portugal. Ferramenta.pt - A Maior Loja Online de Ferramenta para Profissionais.

Back