My first introduction to the LN bevel -up Jack.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
They say a bad worker blames the tools.

Maybe;

Now my party-trick, if you will, is to bring a 24" piece of decent timber to square, by feel and eye. (Not working to any predetermined dimensions you understand.) With my faithful old Stanleys it was possible, but fiddly.

I recently bought a Lie Nielsen low-angle Jack from 'flea-bay' and this afternoon I christened it. I amazed myself by doing the business on a length of 2" square mahogany in just over a minute. I couldn't believe my eyes, but a check with the square showed me I was right.

I am converted. That plane is a magic wand. It's as if you can feel the wood through the sole and instinctively know where the high spots are. The finish is silkier than the surface I got from my old No 4, and that after a DC type fettle! There's no way I could ever blame this LN if I do a bad job with it.

(For the purists, I wouldn't contemplate squaring up for a proper job, without using a square! ) 8)

So, all I have heard about LN is probably true; although I still can't get my No 4 LN smoother to give me a full width shaving. Maybe it needs working in. Let's hope so. :)

Regards
John :) :eek:ccasion5:

John,

Not long purchased LN bu jack myself. Agree it is a great plane. I purchased 25 and 50 degree blade with it and virtually I have two good planes.
Got to say my record and stanley planes do very little work. I'm a great follower of HNT Gordon planes. They are wooden planes and lighter and smoother in the hand than even the LN. Added advantage is that reversing the blade gives you one of the best scraper planes imaginable. I use the scraper action on newly laid veneer and it's brilliant.
Now you've moved past the everyday planes you'll move into a different world.
I know "a bad workman blames his tools" but also consider "you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" I just don't feel the urge to plane with a sow's ear.

Philly,

You are so right. And seeing your avatar, reminds me.

I bought a replacement blade for my old Stanley No. 4. Unfortunately I found that it was too thick for any of my bench planes. So rather than fiddle with the mouth of one of the planes, I am going to use the blade as the basis for some kind of wooden plane. It's been a while since I made one and I don't want to waste a perfectly good blade. So we shall see what we shall see.

And Jerry,

Quite often I use a plane blade as a scraper on wild grain. I hone the blade as normal, but leave the hair-edge on it. Then I hold it bevel towards my body and use it like a normal hand scraper. It works a treat!

Cheers Fellas

John
:)

Back