Music in the workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newt

Established Member
Reaction score
My son said his mate who is a carpenter had a phone call, the caller asked if he was operating a radio in his workshop (place of work) he said yes. The caller said he would be invoiced for £250. He works alone, I assume this is related to entertainment licensing, thought this did not apply if it was for your use only. I assume this could be genuine and not a scam. Is driving a delivery van for example and listening to the radio a similar situation. I thought the station broadcasting paid the licence royalties.

There was a thread about this a year or two ago, in which it was flagged up that there are 2 licenses required, one from PRS and one from PPL; PRS cover the music and composition, while PPL cover the actual recording being used. Both seem to give discretion to a lone worker provided no-one else can hear the music. Here's a link to PPL faq's

http://www.ppluk.com/I-Play-Music/Busin ... a-licence/

newt":p3rf2qw5 said:
My son said his mate who is a carpenter had a phone call, the caller asked if he was operating a radio in his workshop.

At which point the caller should have been told to go **** himself.

Cold callers, whoever they are, should be told to go **** themselves.

doorframe":3n7adtsl said:
newt":3n7adtsl said:
My son said his mate who is a carpenter had a phone call, the caller asked if he was operating a radio in his workshop.

+1

The PRS contacted me recently via mail but addressed to woodson carpentry so I ignored it, well im not woodson so It couldn't have been for me. About 2 weeks later they called to which I said no this isn't woodson carpentry but Hudson Carpentry. Any how they asked if I listened to music, I couldn't deny it as it was blasting. Anyhow after some more questions and me answering I didn't need a license to play music.

Its ok to play music as long as the general public or employees don't operate in the same room. Even if they can hear it from outside, as long as your not playing it in a manor for it to be heard outside on purpose you don't need a license.

woodaxed":202kpg5x said:

+1[/quote]

Except when you are at a loose end, in which case there is little more satisfying than keeping cold callers on the phone pretending to be incredibly interested. It is also worth trying the "can you hang on for a couple of minutes whilst I answer the door" and putting the phone on the side until they hang up!

I have had PRS and PPL call me.

PRS were first and to be fair to them they introduced themselves and explained what they were doing.

I once I told them I worked on my own they said I did not need a to licence form them.

PPl on the other hand started the call with the words "do you listen to music at work" , this statement is designed to entrap you into admitting you do.

I did not answer the question but asked who they were, and they then started on that I needed to have a licence, I told them that I was told by PRS that I did not not, only to have the response that they were different.

I then asked the name of the person that I was speaking to, which they would not give me and then started to get nasty, at that point I put the phone down.

I looked up their direct number rang back and demanded to speak to someone in charge and told them that abusive phone calls are illegal in this country and if I heard from them again I would report them to BT and the police.

That was a couple of years ago and so far I have not.

Tom

PS

I have just read the PPL website and it seems that they have changed their policy as when I had the call, everyone in business need a licence. Still don't like they way they conducted themselves though.

Re. cold callers you should try selling them cavity wall insulation or solar panels, maybe offer to reclaim their PPI, entertaining but cruel according to SWMBO.

woodaxed":1nmcsabm said:
doorframe":1nmcsabm said:
newt":1nmcsabm said:

+1

+2 and usually are.

My god-mum's son works for a phone company, and he told her that the best way to deal with the cold-calling schmucks is to just not hang up.
On a landline, if they rang you, the call is charged until YOU hang up. So just put the handset down on the side, and go and have a cuppa, or pop into town for a pasty. They're generally on a quite high tariff if they're a company, so they quite quickly take you off their lists.

i totally agree with you heath 40 mins is my record dont think i,ll be breaking that anytime soon as we dont get many of those calls anymore

More like an unfortunate side effect of Kwik Fit loosing a test case. I think we all know who the buccaneers are and who the victims are.

A great way to deter cold callers especially good for this case....when they say are they talking to Mr X or "the householder" or the "account holder"....you say...no but I'll just get them for you and then stick the phone next to the radio and go for lunch.

After a few weeks...it seems that the message gets passed around! Haven't had many calls since using this tactic. :wink:

Jim

jimi43":shirc55x said:
A great way to deter cold callers especially good for this case....when they say are they talking to Mr X or "the householder" or the "account holder"....you say...no but I'll just get them for you and then stick the phone next to the radio and go for lunch.

After a few weeks...it seems that the message gets passed around! Haven't had many calls since using this tactic. :wink:

Jim

Don't think it will work in this instance Jimbo (homer)

Tom K":1bpd7mrz said:
jimi43":1bpd7mrz said:

Jim

Don't think it will work in this instance Jimbo (homer)

You don't need a PRS licence for The Archers Tom! I particularly love The Archers because foreign calls keep chatting to a load of farmers!

Jim

As long as you don't listen to the theme tune or any incidental music Jim. One of the Gestapo told me I would need a license to tune in to LBC because of jingles and adverts :lol: Have also been invited to phone them quoting account number blah blah to discuss their unpaid invoices.

Tom K":2tvnkovu said:
More like an unfortunate side effect of Kwik Fit loosing a test case. I think we all know who the buccaneers are and who the victims are.

I was quite serious, these are not actually pirates, they are collective societies who are trying to ensure that people get paid for bothering to make music. For some reason loads of idiots seem to think that music is free, unlike everything else, and that squeeze has over the last decade resulted in musicians and musical rights owners (and other intellectual property owners) get a lot more aggressive about finding other means of payment for enjoyment of their property, as so many people think they should be free to steal them and use them for free.

Jake":25zpbsst said:
Tom K":25zpbsst said:

I was quite serious, these are not actually pirates, they are collective societies who are trying to ensure that people get paid for bothering to make music. For some reason loads of idiots seem to think that music is free, unlike everything else, and that squeeze has over the last decade resulted in musicians and musical rights owners (and other intellectual property owners) get a lot more aggressive about finding other means of payment for enjoyment of their property, as so many people think they should be free to steal them and use them for free.

Yeah what an silly person imagine not wanting to pay to listen to commercial radio or my cd collection whilst working. Rip off Britain at its best. When they targeted large organizations and caused muzak to be inflicted on us it was an acceptable argument but when they are trying to fleece small business it's not.

Back