Multico 'm' Morticer starter problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armagh

Established Member
Reaction score
I turned on my Multico 'M' morticer the other day, cut a small mortice in redwood, and left it running whilst I went to try fit the tenon. I noticed a burning smell and realised that smoke was coming from the morticer. The smoke was coming from a cylinder shaped fitting on the bottom of the on/off switch. A small hole has even been burned at the top of the fitting.

Can anyone advise me as what this part is even called? Or where to buy what I need? Two wires come down from the on/off switch into the problem part, and the part itself is sealed and it seems isn't supposed to come apart. Thanks for any help in advance.

Morticer.gif

Attachments

• Morticer.gif
    Morticer.gif
    195.9 KB · Views: 71
Hello,

That is the motor start capacitor. Replace with one of the same rating, i.e. operating voltage and capacitance in micro farads. It should have a label with these on somewhere.

Mike.

Thanks chaps. the capacitor does not have any kind of label on it. Would the pertinent information perhaps be on the plate on the front of the motor? I know nothing about these things. Where would you recommend buying a new capacitor if I did find out the correct type? Is it the sort of thing I can fix by myself?

Check the motor current rating:-
250 watt Capacitor 12 Mfd
500 watt capacitor 16 Mfd.
750 watt capacitor 20 Mfd.
I Kwatt capacitor 32 Mfd.

All should be nominal 400 volt and RUN rated.

Sizes are not critical but working voltage needs to be 400 volt

Try Somewhere like this or Maplins.

Back