Mulberry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny65

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been given some Mulberry logs, up to 20 inch diameter, anyone had any experience with this timber.

nice find there. as Phil says, stunning wood. I am yet to turn any.

Phil,

Painted with what, I'm new to this, mainly straight trunk but some pieces are where branches have been cut off, I got some spalted beech as well, it was advertised as free firewood !
Here's a photo, the top one is Mulberry.

Attachments

• 20201108_122331.jpg
    20201108_122331.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 31
any paint will do - to stop it drying out too fast

It is a nice wood to work and polishes up well. Turners like it but it is also good for tool handles. Makes OK longbows too. I have only ever got small spindly stuff so 20'' is great.
Regards
John

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    211.7 KB · Views: 18
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    198.6 KB · Views: 18
Has anyone found a solution to it darkening once it has been worked? Years back I turned a bowl from mulberry and whilst it started out a lovely golden colour it is now a muddy brown.

The majority is a yellow colour, the ends that were previously cut have a reddish tinge to it.

Has anyone found a solution to it darkening once it has been worked? Years back I turned a bowl from mulberry and whilst it started out a lovely golden colour it is now a muddy brown.

It darkens on exposure to the light. Keep it away from the sun and it'll stay light in colour longer although, IMHO, if you keep sapwood and the darkened heartwood, the contrast is attractive.

The logs in the pic don't look very long. If so, any cracks will make it difficult to use. If, so, use it quickly. It's best if you can keep logs (for turning) over 60cm long. Preferably more.

B

Bee13

They were that big and heavy I just cut the logs into what I thought were usable lengths, my lathe will swing 12 inch so I'll get some decent size bowls from it.

John, Australian mulberry is a different genus to the British stuff.
I was not aware of that. The stuff I have used has a black fruit like a longish blackberry. It is an introduced plant that has gone wild and would be classed as a weed here. There is one just over my back fence and the fruit is just passed being ripe. The birds by day and possums by night have been having a great time.
Regards
John

Phil,
Well some big gaps in my tree knowledge as I did not know we had a native mulberry. As I live in the Blue Mountains I will keep an eye out for it. Must be nice and hard if it got used for spear points as most of our woods are very hard.
Regards
John

Bee13

They were that big and heavy I just cut the logs into what I thought were usable lengths, my lathe will swing 12 inch so I'll get some decent size bowls from it.

Yes, if you keep it for a while and do get shakes in the ends, you might lose 4" to 6" each end hence my 60 cm / 2'.

If you can't turn it before that happens, I suggest you split the shorter logs to exclude the pith. That way, you'll significantly reduce the risk of shakes.

B

I was not aware of that. The stuff I have used has a black fruit like a longish blackberry. It is an introduced plant that has gone wild and would be classed as a weed here. There is one just over my back fence and the fruit is just passed being ripe. The birds by day and possums by night have been having a great time.
Regards
John
Lucky you, they are delicious, but rare to find here in the UK. There used to be 2 old mulberries in a public park in the City of London - no one knew what they were so there were always berries for the picking. Sadly though they were felled a few years ago for an adjacent office redevelopment.

Over here we call Mulberry, Eperfa which translates too Strawberry tree.

The fruit makes an excellent palinka, which is similar to schnapps.

The wood makes excellent barrels. These are very small holding 3-5 litres. This is called a eperfa hordó.

Latest posts

Back