Mulberry wabi sabi piece, C&C welcome

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a piece of mulberry that is hollowed and mounted on a piece of rescued oak. The finial is ebony with an ebonised twig. Overall the piece is 12" tall, the vessel is 3" tall and 7" diameter. Natural fissures on this one are left as is. C&C welcome.

Pete

Attachments

• mulberry on oak  (1).JPG
    mulberry on oak (1).JPG
    153.6 KB · Views: 1,174
  • mulberry on oak  (2).JPG
    mulberry on oak (2).JPG
    170 KB · Views: 1,174
  • mulberry on oak  (3).JPG
    mulberry on oak (3).JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 1,174
That is really cool, well done. I love the way you have utilised different ways of using wood it's excellent.

TT

Sorry but I'm very close to falling into the single word comment brigade.

Something along the lines of "Wow"

The thing that strikes me about this piece is that you have achieved the impact with the colour contrasts and by maximising the natural wood character.
It's not that I don't appreciate pieces that have had hours of texturing or surface treatment but achieving the impact with simpler lines and finish presentation goes more to the core of the genre for me.

Simply Stunning Pete I Love it nice to see that there is work shown here to keep us novices on our toes and know the way forward and direction in which our turning needs to go does make me foe one frightened to post now ........... :lol:
Regards
Bill

Thank you guys. I am in the middle of finishing off a few of these sort of things made from 'reject wood' and have a couple of demos to do making them so hopefully have a few more to post soon. You never can be sure as every now and then they sort of fall apart instead. The amusing thing isd (as Chas will tell you) is that when I got back into turning I was always making things that were fu8ll of holes, bits of bark natural splits etc. Gone full circle though hopefully improved a bit on the way LOL.

Pete

Great piece the stand helps with the hollow form without distracting from it. With the inclusion did you have to leave the walls of the hollow form a little over thick to prevent break through at that point.

I like the Japanese/Chinese style as well and is something I would like to explore in more depth.

Well, in Chas's immortal word.
Wow.
I cannot express it the way Chas does but it is the sort of thing that would stop you in your tracks when walking around a show.

Dalboy":fv92f9cy said:
Great piece the stand helps with the hollow form without distracting from it. With the inclusion did you have to leave the walls of the hollow form a little over thick to prevent break through at that point.

I like the Japanese/Chinese style as well and is something I would like to explore in more depth.

Thank you. Yes to the thickness question. I have one or two piece3s where I have gone thinner and created a hole but this one I felt it wouldn't be right. I am not trying to do competition hollow forms 3mm thickness so am not too worried about getting the inner wall all the same thickness. My aim is to make the piece look good (in some people's eyes at least LOL) and tactile. The oriental aspect is both something that I love often googling ceramics pottery etc for shapes and ideas and also something that Mark Sanger has sort of guided me in though his work is much more sophisticated hence the wabi sabi title. Loo beyond the ornate painting and so on to the basic shapes and they are deceptively simple. I have a few that I have done which just don't work, curve is wrong or something. Great fun and well worth looking into

Pete

Bodrighy":1khjum1c said:
Thank you. Yes to the thickness question. I have one or two piece3s where I have gone thinner and created a hole but this one I felt it wouldn't be right. I am not trying to do competition hollow forms 3mm thickness so am not too worried about getting the inner wall all the same thickness. My aim is to make the piece look good (in some people's eyes at least LOL) and tactile. The oriental aspect is both something that I love often googling ceramics pottery etc for shapes and ideas and also something that Mark Sanger has sort of guided me in though his work is much more sophisticated hence the wabi sabi title. Loo beyond the ornate painting and so on to the basic shapes and they are deceptively simple. I have a few that I have done which just don't work, curve is wrong or something. Great fun and well worth looking into

Pete

Like yourself I have looked through google and have collected photo's of this style. I was very fortunate in that I spent about an hour talking to Mark reference hollowing tools and the subject came around to his work. It helped a lot so hopefully I will manage to produce some nice pieces.

Stunning. =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Great execution and 10/10 for artistic interpretation.

Basically --- I like it :lol: :lol:

mikec

Back