Some more wabi sabi work

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodrighy

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure if I have posted this one. Just sorting my photos out for the gallery.
This one is made from mulberry. The hollow form is 180mm diameter and has an ebony finial with an ebonised hazel twig. The base is a piece of old oak, wire brushed and buffed, otherwise left totally as is. Stands approx 300mm tall overall. Natural splits now stable but left unfilled as part of the overall wabi sabi effect

C&C welcome
Pete
mulberry on old oak 4.jpg
mulberry on old oak.jpg

Attachments

• mulberry on old oak 4.jpg
    mulberry on old oak 4.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 1,142
  • mulberry on old oak.jpg
    mulberry on old oak.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 1,142
I also like the contrast of the rough and smooth.
They say that everyone sees something different in a piece of art, I see a big rock precariously balanced on the edge of a cliff. A sparrow has landed on the centre of the rock..... will he walk towards the edge and tip it off.............

By eck. whats in these sandwiches ?

So comforting to look at Pete its like taking a chill pill there is so much warmth there it takes your mind on a real trip its simply wonderful thanks for showing us
Regards
Bill

Thank you. Whilst you can start these pieces with a basic idea of shape in mind the end result is often quite different as the wood dictates the look to a large extent. They often go through a number of different finials, supports etc until I am happy with them. Usually got several scattered around the house being adjusted tweaked etc.

Pete

I see a bloke, surrounded by wood shavings, a wood burning stove, quietly creaking in the background as the metal moves with the heat, a deep red glow coming from the embers just visible through the ancient dusty fire glass. The man leans forward, skins up a massive reefer, lights it, then......aaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

Now, which of these offcuts shall I glue together today :)

Random Orbital Bob":26s0852u said:
I see a bloke, surrounded by wood shavings, a wood burning stove, quietly creaking in the background as the metal moves with the heat, a deep red glow coming from the embers just visible through the ancient dusty fire glass. The man leans forward, skins up a massive reefer, lights it, then......aaaaaahhhhhhhhh.

Now, which of these offcuts shall I glue together today :)

Nice image but a long way out I'm afraid LOL. Never touched anything other than nicotine and alchohol, no wood burning stove....The rest, pretty close.

Pete

did that hollow form split after you turned it? If not, did you wear a full face helmet when it was mounted?

Joking aside, it is a lovely piece though I had to look up what wabi sabi meant :) Wiki describes wabi sabi as the imperfect and unfinished ie a natural aesthetic, rustic for want of a better word. I think you've captured that beautifully in the rugged base and the natural splitting and the twigs. Very unusual ideas Pete, always get the viewer thinking beyond just the obvious aesthetic. Nice.

Latest posts

Back