MS Outlook help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knot Competent

Established Member
Reaction score
I've tried, I really have! But I can't work out how to add Clipboard to the list down the left-hand side of Outlook shortcuts. I'm using Windows 2000 and Office XP. And this is only one of the many reasons I so much prefer Lotus Organiser - it's friendly toward me, which I can never say about any of Uncle Bill's world-dominating programmes. And I hate that smartarse paperclip with a passion - never know it to solve a problem, and this is no exception.

Rant over, I think. Can anyone help me with my problem please?

Regards, John

No, I have the Tasks button. I want clipboard, so I can copy an address from Contacts and then paste it into a Word document. I'm sure I had Clipboard there on a previous computer, many moons ago. I use Contacts to store business contacts, and Lotus Organiser for my real life stuff.

Well I didn't know that, Ray. But even if I did, I'm a lazy beggar and want to be able to drag and drop, which I can do with one finger on the mouse. Your method forces me to use both hands! Surely I'm not asking too much from Outlook to be able to do that?

Creating an additional shortcut in Outlok is as simple as right-clicking on the background of the bar, then selecting from the menu. Thing is, what are you then going to use as your shortcut? If you try to use the clipboard viewer (clipbrd.exe), this will fail as a drag and drop - at least, I can't make it work.

There are third-party clipboard enhancers, but I still cant see the point to save a mouse operation, sorry.

Ray.

Knot Competent":2mnkoehq said:
Well I didn't know that, Ray. But even if I did, I'm a lazy beggar and want to be able to drag and drop, which I can do with one finger on the mouse. Your method forces me to use both hands! Surely I'm not asking too much from Outlook to be able to do that?

OK, how about highlight, right-click, copy...
...right-click, paste.

Thanks for your help, Ray. Yup, that works. But as I only do this from time to time, I'm in danger of forgetting Control-C then Control-V. Surely I'm not expecting the earth from a programme that costs some hundreds of pounds, to hope that exporting an address from an address data base to a Word document could be a simple operation? Drag and drop is instinctive (for me, at any rate), but now I'll have to Blutack another bit of paper to the edge of my monitor. Or keep all my data on Organiser, where drag and drop works a treat!

Regards, John

Thanks, Matt, that does it for me.

Am I the only one who loves Organiser? My son, a "techy", thinks I'm sad! He's probably right, but I get on well with it.

Knot Competent":8ewezsdn said:
Thanks, Matt, that does it for me.

Am I the only one who loves Organiser? My son, a "techy", thinks I'm sad! He's probably right, but I get on well with it.

I was quite a fan of Lotus Organiser. Used it at work and home for many years before getting Outlook at home and starting to use Notes 7 at work.

Outlook aside... I've become quite a fan of Open Office too. Gives MS Office a run for its money - particularly as it is FREE!

Interesting, Matt. Did you just decide to go to Open Office, or did you run it side by side with MS Office first to try it out? I'm tempted to give it a try, but concerned if I download OO onto the same hard drive as MS Office they might not be compatible. I don't want to burn my bridges, so do you have any advice?

I've got MS Works :shock: on my home PC, although it does come with the full version of Word and I use Outlook too. I'd heard about Open Office and have now used 2 versions without a problem. (I use Office 2003 at work - hence the reference).

I'd be surprised if you'd have any problems running both on the same PC (although I always feel slightly nervous volunteering such advice when it's someone else's PC (except my wifes PC, which I am very cavalier with!).)

Knot,

you can install OpenOfficre with Ms Office.

Just make sure you DIS-allow the association with .doc, .xls etc other wise you will be having all those doc opened by OpenOffice (might not be your plan).

It will NOT interfere.

Ignot my association statement if you are planning to use OO instead of MS Office (much cheaper I reckon - free).

One of the things about MS Office that annoys the hell out of me is their limit of 31 characters for file names. Hello...gates-baby..how about keeping up with the modern world?

Ploget":1wxikxej said:
Maybe on a Mac - couple of hundred out on Windows there Rog!
Ha ha! Same on the Mac..255 max. Must be a legacy issue from gates-baby.

While you're next trying to save a file in Windows, try this file name ? [ ] / \ = + < > : ; " , and see where it gets you :wink:

Back