Mr first second-hand haul!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah didn't realise it included shipping costs. Should have looked closer.Even so and, as you suggest shipping within the UK, that's still a high price I would have thought. Hey ho - If I hang on long enough Ill turn some up sooner or later :)
Mike

M&W were in fact the english company that could compete with starrett
in measuring and precision instruments, but did occassionally add some items that you thought Well :-k i don't know.

the same with eclipse who tended to make cutting tools when i was young,
and i have a couple of their scribing blocks and dial indicator stands, very nicely made, but of course great deal of hand work i think.

my long stolen ex apprentice tool box included m&w micrometers, and squares etc, eclipse saws and other things, plus of course Britool spanners, and a number of long forgotten american brands like "blackhawk" who often made things our makers did not.

now sadly most of these brands are bastardised and lost to the future.
but good purchases.

paul :wink:

I'm now suffering Record #778 envy.

(I have a Stanley UK #78 )

Deirdre

I suspect that you have slid down the slope faster than any I know. I know that you will not be able to resist the temptation to acquire a #778. And to grease the ramp a little, you might do as I did - add a thicker LN blade to it. So there .. it is now semi-LN - how can you say no?! :lol:

Regards from Perth

Derek

I suspect that you have slid down the slope faster than any I know. I know that you will not be able to resist the temptation to acquire a #778. And to grease the ramp a little, you might do as I did - add a thicker LN blade to it. So there .. it is now semi-LN - how can you say no?! :lol:

Derek,

Not a bad suggestion. :)

You know what's really sad?

Tonight I ordered an LN 140 for a job that the Stanley 78 could probably do (and that the second fence of the 778 would be no help at all). I'm creating a skewed dado (12 degrees off perpendicular) to help hold the shaving horse's rear legs in the right place.

177974362_bf2610093b.jpg

Though I realize it makes things easier if I did it the suggested way, because I'm working with oddly-sized shorts, I'm not cutting the legs the same way. Instead, they'll be about 2x4" with grain in the direction of the leg and the bevel cut off of the inside top.

Link to ongoing set of shaving horse pics

deirdre":36wbio7q said:
Tonight I ordered an LN 140 for a job that the Stanley 78 could probably do (and that the second fence of the 778 would be no help at all). I'm creating a skewed dado (12 degrees off perpendicular) to help hold the shaving horse's rear legs in the right place.

Hi Deirdre,

Are you planning to use the 140 to cut a dado, or am I reading this wrong? :? How wide is the dado? I would have thought there would be other tools more suited to cutting dados than a 140. Like a tenon saw and a router plane for example. Or a router of the tailed variety (I will now proceed to wash my mouth out with soapy water). 8-[

MikeW":25ngv3wq said:
deirdre":25ngv3wq said:
...because I'm working with oddly-sized shorts
Uh, care to explain? :lol:

Nothing a trip to a clothier couldn't fix... :roll:

Don't mind me. Long day...Mike

Sure, but alas the answer won't be as interesting as your question. :lol:

8/4 Teak (Burmese, not plantation) off the shorts rack: $7/bf
8/4 Teak not off the shorts rack: $14/bf
8/4 Hard maple: $9.75/bf

So, we make do with teak. How we must suffer for our art!

Welcome to The Slo-, er forum, Whiteant. :D

Glad we got the oddly-sized shorts sorted out; d'you wear L-N plane socks to go with them, Deirdre? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

deirdre":2i1q1l04 said:
You know what's really sad?

Tonight I ordered an LN 140 for a... a skewed dado ... shaving horse

I wonder what a Buckinghamshire bodger would make of that :D

Thank you all for your warm welcome.
It's a grand place to pick up snippets of quality info.

Better go now, the wife is climbing the stairs to make sure I am not on a teenage chat whatever!
She has a funny notion that Hand Tools Forum means something sinister......

Evergreen":22k2krqi said:
Oooops, forgot to mention.

Moore and Wright is a well known old Sheffield name that used to be part of the Neill group which also owned Eclipse back in the '70s. M&W are well respected for their wide range of precision measuring tools. Strangely, they also used to make ratchet screwdrivers, of which I have several. Never could work out how they fitted into their product range of micrometers, calipers, precision squares, etc.!

Regards.

They also made oil cans, plumbers mouth blown brazing torches, tin snips, cabinet scrapers and ticketers, box spanners, and spiral ratchet screwdrivers

But mainly precision stuff, as you say.

BugBear (with an old M&W catalogue)

Back