Mr first second-hand haul!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keefaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, all!

I've been busy this weekend! As well as getting sunburnt, I managed to pick up my first lot of used tools. Is this the start of the 'slope'?! I'm not really sure how I did, really. Let me show you my booty:

#1. A Stanley brace that I thought looked in good nick. It has 02-742 no 7310 stamped on it.

f6b0d9f998.jpg

#2. A 6" engineer's square, made by Moore & Wright of Sheffield that I just liked the look of and weighed a ton:

db102d649e.jpg

#3. Three chisels! The first a 1/4" Sorby mortise chisel with a handle as big as your leg! The second a 1/2" chisel made by Ward... (illegimate characters). And the third is an inch-wide made by Mildion (or something similar).

8a11916fbb.jpg

#4. A Record #5 that needs some TLC, I think:

04980408f7.jpg

#5. And, the showpiece, which cost about three times as much as the rest of this stuff put together, a Record #778 that may have been used maybe once in its life:

0da4fccca8.jpg

...and now I'm broke! :D

Yes, just the start, wait 'til all is finely fettled and works whistling well. That will be the most dangerous moment :mrgreen:

Nice gloat! :-({|=

Regards, Marc

Philly":32omfd49 said:
Nice one, K!
So, go on. How much did you spend?? :wink:
Philly :D

Well, the #778 was by far the most expensive: £55. It seem OK to me, considering its condition and the fact that it had all parts intact. Even the original box! The rest came to about £30. The chisels and square I picked up at a local market. It's normally crafts--handmade jewellery and the like--but I spotted a table full of rust and swooped! There were a few other interesting things there, actually, but I was starting to feel guilty about all the outlay by then. :oops:

I'm sure you will all tell me I was mugged, but I'm still a novice at this game!

I reckon you did OK, Keefaz. The Record 778 looks relatively new to me, judging by the bright blue colour. You paid about half the new price for that, so that seems OK. The rest for £30 was a bargain in my view :wink:

Paul

By the way, get a nice piece of hard wood ( a scrap from a piece of broken furniture will do nicely), plane it nice and true with your new #5, and screw it to the fence of your #778 (it has two holes for the screws). It will work better that way, and even more so if you rub a candle on it :wink:

Paul

Hmm, someone's on a downward slide...

That Record #5 is a good find - don't go mad over cleaning it or anything, will ya? And a 1/4" OBMC? Lucky boy. My my, that Record blue did get bright, didn't it? 8)

Cheers, Alf

Be careful Keefaz. I bought the same record #778 from B&Q for £65. The rest sound pretty good bargains and the #778 is £10 off shop price and as good as a new one :D

Nice haul :wink:

Tony":2aglkn7c said:
Be careful Keefaz. I bought the same record #778 from B&Q for £65. The rest sound pretty good bargains and the #778 is £10 off shop price and as good as a new one :D

I'm now suffering Record #778 envy. :(

(I have a Stanley UK #78 )

deirdre":ut9noiz1 said:
Tony":ut9noiz1 said:

Ah-hah. Like I say, the box it came in looked as old as the hills... Oh, well!

Tony":14q49787 said:

Nice haul :wink:

I have been on the lookout at boot sales for one as I am reluctant to buy new, provided it has all its parts,
Would this be a case of older Record stuff being better quality as we keep reading or does this not apply to a #778

Nigel

Nigel":25s3lih1 said:
Would this be a case of older Record stuff being better quality as we keep reading or does this not apply to a #778

Nigel

It applies ... less, since a rebate plane is not so quality-critical as a smoother.

But it does apply.

Second hand #778's are quite rare - I see far more Woden and WS varients. and #78's the most of all.

http://www.geocities.com/plybench/record.html#778

BugBear

Keefaz

Good haul. The Stanley 73 brace should have universal jaws i.e. it can hold square taper shank bits and straight shank bits. It can, according to old tool catalogues that I've got, also hold #1 Morse-taper shank bits but I'm never sure how they differ from square taper! The "10" in its name just means 10 inch sweep.

Regards.

Oooops, forgot to mention.

Moore and Wright is a well known old Sheffield name that used to be part of the Neill group which also owned Eclipse back in the '70s. M&W are well respected for their wide range of precision measuring tools. Strangely, they also used to make ratchet screwdrivers, of which I have several. Never could work out how they fitted into their product range of micrometers, calipers, precision squares, etc.!

Regards.

bugbear":21wourok said:
deirdre":21wourok said:

http://www.antiquetools.co.uk/1609.html

(he's got two - that's 100 dollars INCLUDING shipping)

Yes, I know. I window shop on that site frequently. Perhaps once I get the next job. Alas, my last contract only had budget for two weeks. :(

Are those prices serious? for example 8 mortice chisels for £112?, Ive been looking for a set of Mortice chisels but not at that sort of price.
Mike

mr":j0peprtf said:
Are those prices serious? for example 8 mortice chisels for £112?, Ive been looking for a set of Mortice chisels but not at that sort of price.
£14 each? High, but not if the alternative is a new Ray Iles one - it's all geared for the American customer including the shipping costs which is why you'll hear lots of praise for Mr M amongst the 'Murricans and lots of advice to go somewhere else cheaper from the Brits. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back