Moving Big Cast Iron Machines?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been offered a Wadkin BAOS Planer thicknesser, and just recieved a tax rebate... so its tempting...

To shift it however could work out to be more expensive than the machine itself... I could try doing it on the cheap with my friend, but i'm not sure how feasible it would be.

I'd be trying to do it with an Astra Estate and a 110 Hi-Cap Pickup just the two drivers and the seller to move it.

How likely is it we could move it? It weighs in at 332kg complete... is it likely to come apart into sections small enough to be lifted by three people? The base casting is likely to have to go in the landrover bed, which is pretty high up.

Is that realistically do-able? Might it be an idea to use a A-Frame and the landrover winch?

any chance of borrowing a trailer? the downside of the landrovers is the lifting height.

Another alternative is to see whether you could hire a van/service with a tail lift.

That's only a baby! I got a 1 ton p/t in a transit using a winch, scaffolding tubes and some sleepers to pull it up and in. The winch was the sellers so to get it out I stripped all the big parts off, lifted it with a mobile engine hoist then drove the van out of the way.

Palletline, £50'ish for a uk delivery. Hardly worth the fuel cost to even consider shifting it yourself.

I agree with matty if you've got any distance to travel its not worth all the effort and expense of fuel. I just use a pallet courier company. Anywhere in britain for £50. Once home roll it on round fence posts or scaffolding. Even better if you can borrow a pump truck. At 350kg it wont be too hard to manhandle around for a couple of strapping chaps. I've got a PK comeing tomorrow which will need to be lowered down a slope with a block and tackle. I think they weigh about 700kg
Take some pics of your adventure :D

hi +1 for pallet line very good i had a lathe picked up and delivered by them came from leeds to lincolnshire
£60-00 inclueding £10-00 hand unload 9i was worried about the weight) when he turned up he said where is it going
it had to go down a gravel drive and into a garage he got his pallet truck off lifted the pallet and said give me a hand and we dragged it down the drive and dropped it right out side the garage spot on.
they ask the weight and charge by that.
very good service.
pip

Having just moved workshops I wouldn't hesitate to have it palletised and moved professionally. Provided there's reasonable access at each end then it's cheap, safe, and efficient.

A BAOS is just a mid size/mid heavy gadget.

The 110 is a bit high off the ground so a trailer would be better. My local van hire place can do a tail lift transit for £55 for the day just to give you a view of hiring.

An alternative is to use some very old methods.

1) Wear steel toe cap boots, use heavy gloves
2) Get some steel pipe say 2ft long maybe a bit longer
3) Tip BAOS and insert pipe under BAOS and then slowly roll it just like an Egyptian pyramid maker and I mean slowly and keep replacing the pipe left behind to the front of the BAOS base
4) make a ramp from 2x8x8'...you need to judge if you need to double up the thickness, also consider putting blocking under the ramp at about the mid point
5) use a rope or pullalong or winch to pull the BAOS up the ramp using the pipe if necessary but probably just sliding the base along the 2x8
6) Secure to trailer and move to new location
7) Repeat in reverse
8) use a minimum of two people to effect the move

good luck
Al

Jelly,

That's about the weight of my planer. That was delivered by the firm who sold it to me, on a pick-up truck; Kendal to Brum! We manhandled it off the back by sliding it along on two 3" thick planks, and I rolled it around my place on broom-stale 'rollers'. Still on the rollers. :mrgreen: I never move it but three feet one way or the other, depending on the length of the boards I am milling. :)

You can manually walk a baos up a trailer ramp.... we did it.

i wouldnt like to even attempt to get it in a pickup back though. even with a telehandler i think itdd be a squeeze.

As replies above the problem is the lift and not moving it about. When I bought and subsequently sold a Sedgwick MB, about 380 kilos, I managed to move it from workshop at bottom of garden, 200ft across grass, gravel, decking, up and down a step etc by myself. This was using a pallet truck and lots of scaffold planks and pallets. The loading/unloading for transport was done both times with a lift back. It was the only safe way without a timely strip down.

Colin

This guy: Landylift Machinery Removal & Transportation Call Steve Cox on 07836 736496 or email [email protected] for quote. Machinery removal and transportation service based in WestYorkshire, UK coverage. Crane can lift 1100kg at 2 metres and 450kg at 4.6 metres. Vehicle can carry 850kg on 7 foot x 6 foot flatbed. Up to 1100kg ...

regularly advertises on this list http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/ and seems to receive favourable comments. (Scroll down the page to find his ad.) May be worth contacting.

Tony Comber

beech1948":2txta36x said:
A BAOS is just a mid size/mid heavy gadget.

The 110 is a bit high off the ground so a trailer would be better. My local van hire place can do a tail lift transit for £55 for the day just to give you a view of hiring.

An alternative is to use some very old methods.

1) Wear steel toe cap boots, use heavy gloves
2) Get some steel pipe say 2ft long maybe a bit longer
3) Tip BAOS and insert pipe under BAOS and then slowly roll it just like an Egyptian pyramid maker and I mean slowly and keep replacing the pipe left behind to the front of the BAOS base
4) make a ramp from 2x8x8'...you need to judge if you need to double up the thickness, also consider putting blocking under the ramp at about the mid point
5) use a rope or pullalong or winch to pull the BAOS up the ramp using the pipe if necessary but probably just sliding the base along the 2x8
6) Secure to trailer and move to new location
7) Repeat in reverse
8) use a minimum of two people to effect the move

good luck
Al

That all sounds very familiar... if you scale the operation up some I've already done up to number five as part of a team moving the segments of a large timber treatment tank.

However I've considered my options and as I'd have to move it from south england to wales now, and wales to the northeast this summer, it's probably too big a machine for me at the moment. I've got a line on a smaller planer that comes with a detachable angle iron base which is more in line with my original stated intention not to buy anything i can't move disassembled in the back of my own car.

Back