Moulding planes and christmas presents.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richarnold

Established Member
Reaction score
What do these planes have to do with christmas I hear you ask?
cabinet023_zps4407d355.jpg

Well the answer is this. Unlike most years the run up to the holiday wasn't as busy as usual, and I managed to find time to make a couple of presents. I also got to play with some of my hand tools in the process. All of the moulders were used in the making of this cupboard which I have been promising to make for Kate for some considerable time. The 18th century William Moss moulder was a recent aquesition, and I particularly enjoyed using it for the plinth moulding. The small ogee belonged to my grandfather, and I have used this on countless occasions for the edges of table tops. It is also an 18th century example, this time by Gabriel (sorry Jim, i'm keeping this one!!). One thing to note is that all the timber used was air dried. I always find that this makes the use of hand tools a lot easier All the wood was from off cuts from other contracts apart from the bog oak cock bead, and handles.
cabinet030.jpg

I also got to use my infill planes to do the final finishing. It's great not to have to resort to the belt sander. by the way, the finish is nothing other than a few coats of raw linseed oil.
cabinet058.jpg

cabinet015_zpsa9a10eff.jpg

Hi,
a great present! Beautiful!
I can see you cut mouldings across the grain, too (top). Did you score the wood before cutting it?

Ciao,
Giuliano :D

ac445ab":3fe8x7jw said:
Hi,
a great present! Beautiful!
I can see you cut mouldings across the grain, too (top). Did you score the wood before cutting it?

Ciao,
Giuliano :D
Hi giuliano.
normally I would say that it would be a good idea to score it with a cutting gauge, but I have used this plane a lot on oak, and for some reason is seems to work without having to. Having said that, I might not have got away with it on kiln dried stock
Happy woodworking for the new year.
Kind regards, Richard

Stunning!

And great to see the old tools put to their proper purpose. Did it take you long to build?

Very impressive workmanship!

Maybe it's just an effect of perspective but your cupboard seems to be very deep (i.e. front to back measurement). Did this cause any particular problems of construction?

Well Richard....if this gorgeous example of the cabinetmaker's art does not show how these old worm holders can be used in the traditional way to make masterpieces....I frankly do not know what does! :shock:

An astounding piece of art my friend and the Gabriel is clearly much more suited to your hands than my "grouping" Angels!!!! So you're safe there! :wink:

Of course...you do realise what you've done don't you!? Annie has seen the cabinet and want's one herself only bigger...since I have more planes in a row than you do! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Please let her know that your row vastly exceeds mine so I don't have to resort to making furniture! It will seriously disrupt my infill making schedule otherwise! :mrgreen:

Again my friend...superb job..pure class!

=D> =D> =D>

Jim

PS...love the bog oak accents! 8)

Evergreen":1tcod5iu said:
Very impressive workmanship!

Maybe it's just an effect of perspective but your cupboard seems to be very deep (i.e. front to back measurement). Did this cause any particular problems of construction?
I have to own up in that I was on a limited time scale, so the main carcass is made of oak veneered mdf. The cabinet sits between a wall, and a sofa so the sides are never seen. The perspective may look odd because of the strange angle of the cabinet. This is due to the crazy angle our home is built at!!. In reply to Andy, I'm not sure how many hours it took, but not that many, possibly between 15, and 20.
Don't worry Jim, I think the last time I checked there were about 275 "woody's" on the shelves, so that should get you off the hook!!!

Is it just me, or is Albert Einstein peering out of the figuring on the cupboard doors? :)
(and, no, even though it was Hogmanay last night, have not been drinking)

dickm":2nn7ephn said:
Is it just me, or is Albert Einstein peering out of the figuring on the cupboard doors? :)
As it was for kate I was hoping they would look something like hearts, but the more I look at them, the more they remind me of Edvard Munch's scream!!!

richarnold":t3u3wsoy said:
dickm":t3u3wsoy said:
As it was for kate I was hoping they would look something like hearts, but the more I look at them, the more they remind me of Edvard Munch's scream!!!

I couldn't for the life of me see Albert in there Dick but I can certainly see "The Scream" particularly in the left-hand door!

Jim

jimi43":1k8irwk0 said:
richarnold":1k8irwk0 said:
dickm":1k8irwk0 said:

I couldn't for the life of me see Albert in there Dick but I can certainly see "The Scream" particularly in the left-hand door!

Jim
I was looking in the wrong place. Kate's just spotted him in the left hand door stile!!!

A really lovely piece of work/craftmanship. Just goes to show, sometimes the old tools do a better job if not in a rush. I bet your missus is really chuffed :)

Richard A wrote: The perspective may look odd because of the strange angle of the cabinet. This is due to the crazy angle our home is built at!!

That's a relief - I thought it was me.

I know the feeling. I made Emma some shelves that ran along the entire length and height of the longest wall at her old house; all square, straight and lovely - until they came to meet with the wall at the end .... no shelf in the last section was the same length or the same end angle and each had to be fitted bespoke to its own eccentricity of wall and plaster.

Lovely job Richard. Oh to have as many off cuts. =P~

Hi, Richarnold

That's a cracking cabinet.

Pete

Back