MOT's

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a relative who knows lots about everything (I'm sure you know what I mean), back to the question, another relatives car has a small chip in the windscreen on the drivers side (approx 1/2" square damage) I said best get that repaired or replaced as it may fail an MOT, no said the know all, it's not obscuring the drivers vision.
All I can find on the internet is a measurement taken from the centre of the steering wheel, any damage greater than 10mm is a failure inside this area, is this still the standard?

Stew

My understanding was any damage to the windscreen within the drivers visible area (as defined by the windscreen wiper path). Could be an urban myth though :D

From the Autoglass website, you car may fail the MOT if the windscreen is chipped or cracked. The maximum damage size is 10mm in the drivers’ line of vision (a vertical strip 290mm wide centred on the steering wheel), 40mm elsewhere in the rest of the area swept by the wiper blades.

https://www.autoglass.co.uk/glass-repai ... gulations/

But on the other hand, a car windscreen with a chip in it might break more easily if hit by another stone. Many insurers will have a chip repaired free of charge so its worth checking with their insurance company.

Found all the info I need, it would appear that the portion of the windscreen that is damaged would result in an MOT failure.
The 'know all' in question (female on my wife's side) sometimes just likes to disagree with anything I say, seems on this occasion she is wrong.

Stew

acewoodturner":26utqx5o said:
But on the other hand, a car windscreen with a chip in it might break more easily if hit by another stone. Many insurers will have a chip repaired free of charge so its worth checking with their insurance company.
+1 to this, my better half got hers repaired for free this way.

Some years ago I had a chip repaired 'free of charge' and the defect may have been mechanically better and water proof but it looked worse visually after the treatment than before because the pressure injection spread the split wider than the allowed defect area, fortunately only it's enlarged edge encroached on the clear site area of the screen and it never failed MOT.

You can buy cheap diy kits on ebay for chips which are outside of the critical area and they works pretty well. As said, the injection method can cause the crack to spread further.
I bought one a number of years ago because the free repair via insurance couln't be done as the chip was too close to the edge of the screen and apparently the repair clamps couln't be positioned. I had the car for 2 years after my diy repair and traded it in without issue.

Bob

My windscreen has a small chip directly in front of the driver. When repaired under insurance the bloke said it would probably pass the MOT but was borderline for size. It's passed for the last 6+ years without a problem at 2 different garages.
Don't you get a free retest anyway, so why not just put it in for an MOT and get it replaced if it fails?

Coming from an MOT tester (have been for the last 10 years) the above info is strictly correct regarding the 290mm centered on the steering wheel, however unless the chip is in the direct line of sight of the driver or obstructing the view of the driver then the general consensus is that its an advisory. Of course this very much depends on the tester.

Matt

EDIT: We had a company come in to work today chelping on about the new mot training system and incidentally we got talking about damage to windscreens, its now official if its not directly in the drivers view its an advise even if its over the 10mm allowed. Officially you can have a 2ft crack and if its not obstructing the view of the driver its a pass advise.

Matt

Latest posts

Back