motor advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to hear that you got it sorted Graeme. I've yet to come across another of those pesky electronic starters but i did add a further appendix to my motor paper to alert others.

Bob

What I mean is this, I might have a motor that turns at 2000 rpm with the pulleys the same size or I could have a motor that turns at 1000 rpm but by haveing the pulley on the motor twice the size as that on the cutter the same speed is achieved at the cutter. Does that makes sense? So which is better for a planer fast motor or slower motor geared to achieve the same speed at cutter.
thanks

I have already suggested that you need a 2pole motor so have other people here and so do the planer manufacturers.
I have also mentioned the pulley ratio problem
But you still ask :roll: I give up and am unsubscribing this thread.

Bob

wallace":1lnka5ig said:
What I mean is this, I might have a motor that turns at 2000 rpm with the pulleys the same size or I could have a motor that turns at 1000 rpm but by haveing the pulley on the motor twice the size as that on the cutter the same speed is achieved at the cutter. Does that makes sense? So which is better for a planer fast motor or slower motor geared to achieve the same speed at cutter.
thanks

You have already been given the answer:
NetBlindPaul":1lnka5ig said:
A motor that goes faster.
Speed and torque (power) are interlinked.
Increasing the speed by "gearing" reduces the torque available at the cutter.

The faster the the RPM of the prime mover the better the Torque you are going to be able to harness.

Hence why your electric hand drills have universal motors that can rotate at 10's of thousands of RPM rather than an induction motor fixed to mains frequecy, and why you go into lower gearing in your car to climb a hill so that your engine can run at higher revs.

Mr 9 fingers please don't throw the toys out of the pram. I only wished for someone to explain the reasoning behind speed/ratios/torque. sorry for not getting it straight away. I was always told that the only dumb question is the one not asked.
Thanks for explaing it better for me Paul

Think of a car gear box Wallace, it's exactly the same, a prime mover is a prime move,
Technically a gear box is a torque converter, high revs on PM geared down to driven = high torque on driven, ie cutter block. Put the box in overdrive = low torque.
Does that help?

Roy.

I have the same model Wadkin RA 6" planer

It's fitted with a 400/440V 1HP (continuous rating) 3phase 2800rpm 50Hz motor which was made for Wadkin by the English Electric Company

IMG_3690 small.JPG

IMG_3698 small.JPG

Wadkin RA.JPG

Regards
John

Attachments

• IMG_3690 small.JPG
    IMG_3690 small.JPG
    63.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3698 small.JPG
    IMG_3698 small.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 31
  • Wadkin RA.JPG
    Wadkin RA.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 31
Wallace:

In an ideal machine, it wouldn't matter. You don't have an ideal machine. As Graeme has said, you have a machine that has a limited time to come up to speed or you overload something (start capacitor, or the electronic starter) and your power gets cut. The faster speed motor is going to come up to speed sooner, so you need to go with that.

I assume you have a pulley for the planer. Do you have a motor pulley? If not, you can use this calculator to see what size you need to get to 4500 rpm on your cutterhead:
http://vintagemachinery.org/math/arborrpm.aspx

Kirk

Wallace - only recently collected the planer - currently unrestored, but I will post pics of it when complete
Regards
John

Good luck with the restoration, I have recently bought enough old iron to keep me going for the rest of the year. I got a 6" planer a 9" planer a wadkin RS pattern lathe and a wadkin freestanding drill press

Back