Most useful hand tools that are no longer made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CHJ":3nxedzmp said:
Oh for a kit full of "Perfect Handle Screwdrivers" they have always been a thing of desire for me, unfortunately the ones that were in the family went walkabout many years ago.
I bought a set of Perfect pattern Screwdrivers from Workshopheaven awhile back. They are all i use with Brass Screws now. They have such a wonderful feel in the hand.

RogerP":25cx88su said:
http://www.workshopheaven.com/tools/Perfect-Pattern-Screwdrivers-Set-of-4.html

That's another bit of the pocket money gone as soon as they are back in stock, thanks for the link, guess they might spur me into better attention around the market stalls to try and find some older versions the same as the oak handled ones that we used to have at home, two were in the sewing machine draw last time I saw them.

I used yankees a lot.
One not so obvious advantage is the "aspect ratio"; a very long thin screwdriver gets you into tight internal corners such as fitting window catches with the screws close to the glass, with the added advantage of the ratchet and spiral screw for better control and less likelihood of camming out.

I couldn't agree more, in fact the desk I just built for the youngster had me reaching for the Yankee for exactly that reason. The brackets joining the apron to top underside were close to the legs so I wanted the flexibility of movement that long length gives you to avoid knocking into the legs with my knuckles. That coupled with the "feel" that a manual gives you which (despite clutches on drill/drivers) electricity takes away.

I've definitely embraced modern technology for many tools but I'll never throw out the baby with the bath water and hand planes, chisels and Yankees remain a permanent part of my toolkit.

A company I worked for banned Yankee drivers, they fitted window bars and got fed-up replacing windows.
The Stanley Hinge Gauge was a useful gadget.
COMMENT ABOUT THIS SITE. If I click on QUOTE, it takes me to an advertising website.
Dave

Pensioner1947":24r6pbvg said:
A company I worked for banned Yankee drivers, they fitted window bars and got fed-up replacing windows.
COMMENT ABOUT THIS SITE. If I click on QUOTE, it takes me to an advertising website.
Dave

Works (obviously :D ) OK for me?

BugBear

bugbear":1sgtee09 said:
Pensioner1947":1sgtee09 said:
Dave

Works (obviously :D ) OK for me?

BugBear

And me :lol:

Good quality resharpenable scrapers like a stanley 82. I just found an immense amount of use for one, it sharpened only on a stone (too hard to file) but still held a burr and did a wonderful job on a section of floor I had to refinish. There are new scrapers, but nothing similarly nice to use and customizable in terms of grip.

I don't like yankee screwdrivers - could never get on with them. This is the hand tool that isn't made anymore which I think is really useful:

So handy in this size for getting in those awkward spaces. Made in East London too - not that far from where I grew up :).

+1
I took my Leytool drill apart as the grease had gone hard, now with fresh grease and it will last another 40 years.

memzey":2jacus1c said:
I don't like yankee screwdrivers - could never get on with them. This is the hand tool that isn't made anymore which I think is really useful

Totally agree on both points... I was told on here that the Leytool drill was not a good choice as my only hand drill but that was rubbish - it's just great to use and my cordless drill almost never comes out of its case now. Any bigger jobs go to a brace obviously but the smoothness and ease of control of the Leytool make it a joy to use.

Yankees need a lot of control to use, if you go in too enthusiastically they can do a lot of damage very quickly... not unlike a electric drill. I am a fan of them because they are a nice middle ground between speed and control, though the latter requires practice (as I found out ;) )

+ 1 for leytool, very useful drill. However I recent years its been somewhat over shadowed by this fancy ratcheting offering from America i was lucky enough to acquire:

North Brothers "Yankee" No.1530A by Rhyolith, on Flickr

Because its got 2-pinions it loads up better than the leytool and the double ratchet allows it to crank in smaller spaces than the leytool (though its longer, so that can be a limitation).

Here's an old tool that still gets an outing once or twice a year in my workshop, a Stanley 386.

If I've a job that requires a precise, but non standard bevel on an edge (say something like a corner cupboard), then I'll often dig this tool out. The advantage is that I can leave it set up on a spare bench plane for the duration of the job, where as if I've cut the bevel on the spindle moulder or ripped it on a table saw, I can't then leave those machines out of action while they're set up for that exact angle.

It's surprising how precise the 386 is in terms of both set up and consistency, certainly better than a tenth of a degree and I'd struggle to return my machinery to a previous angle setting with that degree of accuracy. So if something goes wrong in the build and I need a replacement component with the exact same angle (happens to us all!) it's the work of minutes to quickly knock out a new one.

Stanley-386.jpg

Attachments

• Stanley-386.jpg
    Stanley-386.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,248
I have a 386 as well and love it too. I thought a couple of manufacturers still made them across the pond though?

For me, the most useful tool that's no longer made (properly), is the humble hand brace. Best cordless drill / driver I've ever owned!

I stand corrected! I bought a new Stanley(?) brace once, it was awful.....

A brace with a 3 jaw chuck would be useful, but not £64-useful :-k

Breast drill?

Often overlooked by woodworkers as it excels at tasks requiring a bit that's more easily controlled in a brace for wood and a plugging chisel would be used in masonry... But in metal, plastic and composite it's much more controllable than an electric drill.

Pattern-makers gouges & firmer gouges are also very useful, but are thankfully still in production... Just.

Back