Morticers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluezephyr

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been useing this and found it a pain if youve got lots of table legs to do together.
n524656761_1192959_6175.jpg

Its done the job for 10 months and now but i want to start making dining tables and useing hardwoods so i need one that will be a bit more heavy duty, For the last few weeks ive been commenting about a Jet morticer stood in the local tool shop, £322 which seemed a bargain.

I went in the shop on monday to go and buy it but it had gone, They ordered one in and when i went back i saw the Sedgwick in the corner, Words from this site came to mind about buying good quality and buying once, This should last me all my days if i look after it.

n524656761_1198886_6672.jpg

They did me a really good deal on it, Alot cheaper than Axminster and i didnt need to pay carriage.
I cant understand why if its only an 1100w motor why they had to make it 16A, I can understand with a spindle moulder having to start spinning up a large tooling block.
Im actually looking forward to the next batch of morticing, Being able to clamp the wood in and a wheel for moving it 8).

Power = voltage x current (ish)

So if you want a lot of power off a 240V supply you need a high current. That said the no load current is 1100/240 = 4 and a bit. However, when you slow the motor, like cutting a big mortice with a big machine, the current will ramp up a lot, maybe several times, so the 16A is protection for that occurence

Aidan

bluezephyr":2ww7prvi said:
This should last me all my days if i look after it.

I cant understand why if its only an 1100w motor why they had to make it 16A, I can understand with a spindle moulder having to start spinning up a large tooling block.

Last you all your days :lol: and then a few :lol: I think mine is as old as me, and it works fine with a 13 amp plug on it.

Bluezephyr

If the morticer has an induction motor, as I would expect, it will take 6 to 8 times full load current when starting - even off load.

Duncan

Blue Zephyr,is that the good old tool shop in Horsford?that done you a good deal. shopped there a lot my self and always try to support the local trades if possible.
Mark.

Thanks for the replies, Im going to get a friend sparky to come wire it up for me, The connections in the switchbox arent something i recognise, Seems the switchbox caters for 3 phase aswell as single.

Chippyjoe (Mark :? ), Youre right, Norfolk Saw is where i have bought nearly all of my machinery, A proper family run business with good customer service.

Snap!
DSCF0968.JPG
:D
A beautiful machine. I don'tthink the design has changed for 25 years as i used the same machine when i was an apprentice. You'll have no trouble with that beauty.

Back