mortice chisel handle splitting.. router time?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickthetree

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey all

I'm cutting some mortices for this garden gate I'm making in redwood.

I'm using a mortice chisel / pig sticker I've had knocking about and it works really well. Only trouble is The handle is cracking and splitting at the top when I'm whacking it in.

3986183125_fb097a998a.jpg

I'm using my beech mallet not a metal hammer and thought this would be fine.

How can I stop it splitting!!

Its not quite wide enough anyway, I think a 1/2" chisel would be better for this job. Does make a good tidy job of it though!

3986938828_a9be0a3451.jpg

I can borrow a Dewalt 1/4" router to do it, but the mortices need to be 50mm deep. Can a router go that deep?

I'd try wrapping the handle with insulating tape - works for me, although maybe not so "aesthetically pleasing" as a new handle.
Philly :D

You can also dribble some superglue down the cracks already there. I personally wouldn't fancy using a router with a 5cm projection on it (assuming you could find one). Do you not have access to a drill press or at least a way of supporting a hand drill so that it can be use vertically and accurately.

The theory behind mortice chisels is that you use a chisel that is the same width as you want your mortice to be and then just tidy up the rough edges after. You may need a bigger chisel, preferably with a steel band around the top of the handle

Thanks for the tips.

Yes the one I'm using is 3/8ths" wide which isnt wide enough. I'm going to have to get a 1/2" one.

I don't currently have a drill press (another thing on the list ;-)). I do have some forstner bits and a drill. If I cut some supporting blocks at 90 degrees I guess I could use those.

I quite like the results so far of the mortice chisel so I'm going to have to get my hands on a 1/2" one I think. Trouble is finding one.

I do have a 1/2" registered firmer chisel I think so might give that a test.

Think I'll give the router a miss.

Off to find some glue and tape for this one in the mean time!

yeah I did wonder about that, but havent got the first clue how to do that! Also its an oval handle, not round. Would that make a difference?

Just tried out the drilling method and my hand cut results are far more accurate. Just not set up for drilling.

Got a registered firmer chisel, but it doesnt seem as accurate as the mortice chisel either.

I've asked around a few places for a 1/2" or 5/8ths" mortice chisel. Waiting on a few replies.

Anyone on here have a spare one knocking about they want to sell?

:)

the handle looks a little flat topped - and your mallet is catching the edge. Chances are the crack started ages ago. radius over the top of the handle and see what happens. Should fix problem.

most Ferrel are soft ish

as you have to crimp them on so squashing them slightly is not a problem

Have you any copper tube the same size ?

not as good but it will give some support

:wink:

ah will do Joel

I've bound it all up with this cool canvas insulating tape I had. Like Philly said, its not pretty, but it makes for a good grip!

yup cheers Andy, seen them. Seems an odd way of trading over the internet. Only listing the stuff that you've sold! :D

Watching the bay for a few items. See what comes of it.

Cheers

On my driveway gate I made the mortices 70mm deep by using a router.
370526792.jpg

I used a router extension, biggest 'problem' with this is that it takes a lot of shallow passes to get to this depth, haven't timed it but it's probably around 15min to make 1 mortice without squaring the corners by hand, wich takes at least another 10 mins. (at least for me, for a more experienced person it will be a lot faster). As an aftertought, it might be faster by drilling out the bulk with a handheld drill with a depth stop, and then clean it up with a router.

You could always use a kitchen worktop bit, they are not that expensive and are very long, I think the one I have is 50mm long (cutting part), again you have to take very light passes.

373063477.jpg

http://www.cmtuk.com/cutter_812628.html

My build thread:

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34019

Ray would be a good bet. His new OBMCs go up to 1/2"
But he sorted me out with a couple of vintage monster laminated 5/8" OBMCs a while back.

Ha took me a second (google) to work out what OBMC means (Oval bolstered mortice chisel for the unlearned)

How does one go about contacting Ray?? :) Can you PM me dunbarhamlin with details if its not cool to post them here?

Also are they trapezoid in shape or parallel? I'm getting on well with this trapezoid shape one.

Did a google and Derek Cohen did an article online about re-handling an OBMCs back in 2006 but its no longer available.

I think I've seen Derek on this forum before, no?

Ironballs":3t4hrg0y said:
I personally wouldn't fancy using a router with a 5cm projection on it (assuming you could find one).
I use these, or more specifically the 12mm diameter ones (120mm long, so 85mm projection at max) when installing batches of door locks on site. They do require a beefy 1/2in plunge router like my deWalt. You just have to learn to go steadily with them - and remember not to forget the lock mortise jig :roll:

I made some garden gates in pine a few years ago and chopped out 10mm wide by 75mm deep mortises by hand using a cheap Draper mortise chisel. The chisel had a blue plastic handle and the blade was roughly finished I suppose but it was more than up to the job and I don't think I paid much more than a tenner for it at the time.

Latest posts

Back