Mortgage rates / interest etc

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No only a triton doweller!!🤣🤣🤣
Lets meet halfway..... a second hand domino? 😆

This whole conversation has got a bit heavy, so lets change tack.....

Everyone list your favourite food!
Mine is steak. Or homemade burgers. Or lasagna, fondue, Mexican, crispy duck in pancakes 😋😋😋

This whole conversation has got a bit heavy, so lets change tack.....

Everyone list your favourite food!
Mine is steak. Or homemade burgers. Or lasagna, fondue, Mexican, crispy duck in pancakes 😋😋😋
I have a lidl dowling jig is that any good.

steak is good so is lasagna

I've been branded a man of means. I've got a whole set of dominos. you can have one. they're second hand and I'm sure they were when I got them. you like the dark ones with the light dots or the light ones with the dark dots?

I've been branded a man of means. I've got a whole set of dominos. you can have one. they're second hand and I'm sure they were when I got them. you like the dark ones with the light dots or the light ones with the dark dots?

Im easy David, both are good 🤣

The problem today is that people want everything now, just buy it and accept the debt without fully understanding their finances or even longer term employment situation rather than only buying what is within their financial ability, in other words you might not have everything today but will have to at least save up for it or reduce outstanding debt. Any of us that are of that age will recal that many newly weds would happily accept secondhand furniture and such to get started and credit was not something so happily accepted because people were happy to work for it and you did not want to be in debt.
So true. I remember when I married in 1975 we had a new cooker only because my parents paid for it. We had a succession of three piece suites, given to us, each slightly better than the previous one, and we laughingly told friends we had a colour TV Simply because it had a bright orange (painted) cabinet. Made by Murphy, I think it was. £5 bought the weeks shopping then, with sometimes enough left over for fish & chips on a Friday night.

So true. I remember when I married in 1975 we had a new cooker only because my parents paid for it. We had a succession of three piece suites, given to us, each slightly better than the previous one, and we laughingly told friends we had a colour TV Simply because it had a bright orange (painted) cabinet. Made by Murphy, I think it was. £5 bought the weeks shopping then, with sometimes enough left over for fish & chips on a Friday night.
Ferguson TV
Velour sofa
Single glazed windows.

Don't think it did us any harm.....

Twitch twitch twitch!!!

The problem today is that people want everything now, just buy it and accept the debt without fully understanding their finances or even longer term employment situation rather than only buying what is within their financial ability, in other words you might not have everything today but will have to at least save up for it or reduce outstanding debt. Any of us that are of that age will recal that many newly weds would happily accept secondhand furniture and such to get started and credit was not something so happily accepted because people were happy to work for it and you did not want to be in debt.
I think there is something in this. Saving up and thrift have become old fashioned concepts.

I think there is something in this. Saving up and thrift have become old fashioned concepts.
Thrift wasn't a virtue, or voluntary, it was necessary, because people had less money.
Nowadays people have more money than they need, excepting a large lower percentage who are still thrifty and also have "austerity" thrust upon them to avoid having to tax the better off.

Is to recognise that migration is now a global issue and to do something intelligent about it, first on the list being to open safe routes and to look at ways of international cooperation.
Worst possible time for brexit.
Migration is increasing as climate change places additional massive burdens, on regions already destabilised by war and other factors.
The alternative is to have bodies piling up at borders, or washing up on beaches, which is already happening.
As an engineer, I deal with the CAUSE of a problem, not the EFFECT. In the majority of cases where we find ourselves dealing with the 'effect', the battle is lost because the employment of 'soft' techniques is forced upon you. Taking Jacob's comment about 'bodies piling at borders, the reality is that people are actually encouraged to reach 'soft-touch Britain' by greasing their transit through Europe and not, for example, stopping them from entering France -they don't care where the bodies pile-up providing it's not in France.
Engineers apply well-founded Risk Management techniques to identify the actual 'problem', apply appropriate levels of mitigation and set a backstop for resolution of the 'problem'. If rigour is not applied to the process, the 'problem' (as time passes) simply becomes an ongoing 'issue' but those who are supposedly dealing with the 'problem' bask in the glory of having done 'something', crowing that 'something' is better than nothing ! For those who do not know it, there is a database out there called the 'Lessons Ignored Database' - it is out-of-control and there is insufficient computer storage on the planet to contain its never acted-upon findings.
The immigration /asylum situation is being handled (note I didn't used the term 'managed'), in a slow and plodding manner when Crisis Management techniques should be employed - but who in Goverment is capable of real Crisis Management - certainly none of the current incumbents with their degrees in 'Humanities', Classics and Underwater Basket-Weaving & Macrame !

crowing that 'something' is better than nothing !
if there were a language of losers official dictionary, "it's better to do something than nothing" would probably be in it. Doing something that doesn't resolve a problem and then ignoring the problem is worse than doing nothing at all.

It couldn't possibly be that hard to start to train society in general to understand outcomes and their role in their own outcomes. This was automatically done to some extent by most in the past because not doing it led to well understood suffering.

It's the case that some part of society isn't going to follow this - but trying to tag along and use them as an excuse for everyone else is no good. It becomes a huge problem when intelligent and able people wash themselves of responsibility because it's (perceived as, at least) better for them to play games than it is to try to improve their own outcome and society's at the same time.

Thrift wasn't a virtue, or voluntary, it was necessary, because people had less money.
Nowadays people have more money than they need, excepting a large lower percentage who are still thrifty and also have "austerity" thrust upon them to avoid having to tax the better off.
Hmmm.
Ok, help me out here.
Are we better off now than 'in the old days' ?
Can we get realistic comparisons of income vs house prices?
These days there a million things aimed at us ( in terms of things to buy, phones, internet, computers / games machines , coffee machines, and just about anything you can think of, which makes you feel 'poor' because you font have all this stuff!
Take for example, im terrible with my money. At the moment i feel like i have to own a mini digger ( for work ) and 1 happens to have popped up round the corner ( literally ) at a good price. I'll almost certainly make it happen 🤣
Do i REALLY need it? Yes and no. I can hire one ( like renting a house ) but if i buy one, it'll pay for itself after a while and it'll still be worth what i paid in a couple of years..... whereas hiring it is lost money. On my current job ive paid nearly 2k on digger hire, whereas if id bought a cheap one, It'd have paid a 1/3 of its value back already.

To be fair, i dont go to the pub, we dont get takeaways very often ( 5 or 6 times a year )

Hmmm.
Ok, help me out here.
Are we better off now than 'in the old days' ?
Can we get realistic comparisons of income vs house prices?
These days there a million things aimed at us ( in terms of things to buy, phones, internet, computers / games machines , coffee machines, and just about anything you can think of, which makes you feel 'poor' because you font have all this stuff!
Take for example, im terrible with my money. At the moment i feel like i have to own a mini digger ( for work ) and 1 happens to have popped up round the corner ( literally ) at a good price. I'll almost certainly make it happen 🤣
Do i REALLY need it? Yes and no. I can hire one ( like renting a house ) but if i buy one, it'll pay for itself after a while and it'll still be worth what i paid in a couple of years..... whereas hiring it is lost money. On my current job ive paid nearly 2k on digger hire, whereas if id bought a cheap one, It'd have paid a 1/3 of its value back already.

To be fair, i dont go to the pub, we dont get takeaways very often ( 5 or 6 times a year )
We are better off than in the old days, but some have gained more than others.

I think Jacob posted a link to a graph of income and house prices but both are fairly reliable for the last forty years.

Buy the excavator.

Get the digger you know you want it!

I almost brought an old fire engine!!

We are better off than in the old days, but some have gained more than others.

I think Jacob posted a link to a graph of income and house prices but both are fairly reliable for the last forty years.

Buy the excavator.
I must have missed that while i was looking for mortgage advice 🤣
Yep....Buy the digger.
HTH

i most likely will
if nothing else i can sell it again if it doesn't get enough use.... and it'll go nicely with a 2 ton tracked dumper i bought off ebay 😆🤣

Latest posts

Back