Morse taper on a chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Syncman

Reaction score
Given a 3 jaw chuck, but it mounts on a #2 Morse taper. That seems pointless to me. The side pressure just loosens it.
IMG_3878.jpg
IMG_3877.jpg

That is an metal working chuck not for woodturning it fits onto a backplate via the three threaded holes you can see that in turn is normally fitted to the lathe by a thread.
The jaws on this chuck will not hold wood very secure as there is very little bearing surface for them to grip on(wood being able to compress) metal does not have the same problems as wood.

if it fits on a 2mt it was probably used in a rotary table to hold small dia stuff for precision drilling

Don't be in a hurry to dismiss this chuck.

The only chuck I have is a 2" 4 Jaw model very similar to the one in your picture.

For larger wood projects I use a mandrel (AKA M8 threaded rod) and can handle bigger pieces than you would expect for a chuck this size.

Sphere2.jpg

Sphere3.jpg

This box is 160mm (6.1/2" Diameter x 400mm High) all made with a 2" metal working chuck.

Sphere6.jpg

For smaller bits and bobs I tend to glue the workpiece to a sacrificial piece of pine.

This is a 40mm diameter half of a locket

locket 7.jpg

locket 9.jpg

If you were given this very versatile chuck for free I think you were very lucky and you should hang on to it.

Toodlepip

Back