Morse Taper (female) Cleaning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NickWelford

So many tools, so little to show
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase a morse taper cleaner to (obviously) clean a #2 morse taper socket? I need to clean mine as the Jacobs drill isn't seating properly. I can find reference to "TaperMate" on US websites but would like to know where I can get one in the UK.

The British company to be found Via the link below apparently supplies Morse taper cleaners.

Personally I would use a strip of wet and dry paper (say 600 grit) fixed to a male taper in a spiral with space between each turn using a spot of superglue to fix it at each end, and use this, with a light oil, as a lubricant.

Since Morse tapers are hardened no damage should occur.

Since the wet and dry paper would need to be cut in a curve to fit the taper, getting the correct curve should be interesting.

Hope this Helps Dan

http://www.engnet.co.uk/p/b.aspx/4770/11590

Thanks Guys - I don't think I need to ream so much as clear away hardened oily crud and sawdust, so I might well use Dan's idea but having looked at the tool co. from Roy, adapt their cleaner idea, which has strips of emery running along the taper , with gaps between. Unless a cheap plastic cleaner in the right shape comes along .......

Not suitable for encrusted crud, but I always use a bottle brush followed by oily rag wraped round bottle brush as a routine cleaning when changing Lathe centres etc.

This helps to stop crud getting encrusted!

David

NickWelford":bq9urjd6 said:
Thanks Guys - I don't think I need to ream so much as clear away hardened oily crud and sawdust, .......

In that case, use a triangular engineer's scraper. J&L will sell them. (probably).

What's wrong with a bit of solvent and a rolled up scotchbrite pad out of your kitchen, gently applied. I certainly wouldn't use anything metallic that could scratch and damage the taper. I do own a 2mt taper reamer but wouldn't use it for this unless the taper was damaged.

Back