More recent turnings (by Duncan)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alun has summed it up for me as well - it "looks right" :D
It's certainly moved a lot,but has moved quite symmetrically,and looks very nice as a result.

Andrew

Mornin' Duncan. Once again, really nice work. Been reading John Jordan's article in Woodturning about using wet wood and how to orientate it for just those drying effects. Makes for very interesting reading.

Duncan

IO have just been looking through this thread and have to say that there is no doubt that you are very talented at what you do.

The work is a pleasure to view. Your design and finish is excelent. Thank you for sharing. Wat way to spend a Sunday afternoon, looking at beautiful work such as this.

Take care

Mark

A big thank you to everyone who commented.

Pete - If I hadn't turned the walls as thin of as uniform then I'm sure this would have split. Once it was turned I left it unfinished sitting in the shed for a week before bringing it indoors. Pretty much all the movement happened whilst it was still in the shed.

Here are a few more recent items...

22cm diameter elm
Bought in a job lot box of of elm which hadn't been suitable for the original purchaser. This blank had a large inclusion which I strengthened with super glue and then levelled with used coffee grounds flooded with thin glue. There's a filled area opposite which is why there's a flat in the photo.

20cm diameter elm
This is from the same box as the previous one but quite lighter even with the same finish.
I tend to make these type of enclosed forms for highly figured wood as I think they allow the grain to be showed off the best. If I'd turned a bowl I could have used a corer to get more pieces out of it but if the bowls had been used to contain anything then the grain would be hidden.

22 cm diameter ash
My woodsman cousin saved this ash burr for me and I was quite excited to see what was inside. Disappointingly I didn't find the typical swirls that you get in elm or oak burr but these do have a pleasing highlights.
Cored with the Mcnaughton system.

All these were finished with Fiddes hard wax oil designed for floors. It's similar to the Osmo oil (I think) demoed at our club by Tracey Owen, but cheaper.

Wow ! Duncan, they are really stunning !...
really like the way the forms 'dip' before rising back to the openings, gives them almost a 'liquidity' to them.. that really works well !
Reminiscent of the 'stone into a pond' sort of image, if the stone were the opening. They're gorgeous. 8) 8) 8)

The set of bowls , equally so.
You can imagine someone looking at them and pondering 'how on earth did he manage that ?' in respect of the 'edge' on a matching set.

Super work, yet again Duncan.
Keep them coming... its truly inspiring stuff 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Well executed and rescued on the burl hollow forms Duncan, I love the 'natural looking' effect that is achievable with coffee grounds, did good with keeping the bark intact on the nested bowls, did the bark/wood joint need CA treatment?

Thanks Chas.
No glue needed at all on the bark. There are some worm holes just under the bark and these add a little interest. Hopefully there are no worms left in there!

Hollow forms are very nice,Duncan - but I'm really drawn to the rustic simplicity of the nest of ash bowls :D

Andrew

Thanks again...

Bodrighy":qng8jemo said:
Lovely pieces Duncan. What do you use to get into the shoulders on those forms?

Pete

A lot of patience:)
The tools I tend to hollow with are the Munro tool with the original links and some extra ones I made to bolt on and get more reach.
To get right into the corner I use a variety of cutters according to what works best on the day - short pieces of sharpened masonry nails, Sorby TCT tips, cutters made from planer blades.

I'll try to get a photo of my hollowing tools

Back