More pens. Now with even more pens!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
The gallery my stuff is in wants more pens. Made a couple today, these pens are much better than the last kits I had, better tighter fit etc. I've got fancy velvet boxes to put them in for the gallery.

Apple.
newpens001.jpg

Walnut.
newpens002.jpg

I tried the CA/BLO method suggested last time I posted some and I must admit its very good.

No injuries were incurred :lol:

JT

Great pens JT both nicely proportioned =D> . The BLO/CA is a great finish I use it a lot I also give them a once over with burnishing cream. Glad to hear no more injuries

Lovely pens JT cant pick a winner there, are the kits better quality because they fit better, or because its a better quality plating.

Nice to see the BLO/CA finish worked OK, you are a very talented young man, and I hope you do well with the gallery, you may wish to try some acrylic pens all the catalogue list them, The Turners Workshop have good kits and blanks, also have a look at the Woodworking Friends Forum, a chap called Les In Red Deer makes really good pens.

Very nice Johnny, the Apples my favorite.

How easy did you find the blo/ca finishing? I`m hoping to give it a whirl in the not too distant future.

Cheers guys. I'm much happier with how these ones turned out.

stevebuk":1yp0m0s7 said:
.....are the kits better quality because they fit better, or because its a better quality plating.

The plating is 24ct gold, but I meant the fit, much tighter, they just seem better quality. The other ones I had were what came with the pen turning kit I bought.

THOMASB steady on mate :oops: :lol: I got these from The Turners Workshop,delivered next day, good price.

Doug, its dead easy mate, nothing to worry about. I tried it on a scrap piece of wood first that I turned down to a pen size and it went OK so I just dived on in and done the pens.

JT

Quality already JT, well done.
Particularly the walnut one. opposing grain pattern, very smart.
Are they selling yet in the gallery?
Curious to know how much mark-up the gallery is putting on your stuff?
Hope you do well!
May the pen-force be with you :roll: :roll: :roll:

John. B

Thanks for the replies :D

Mike its a great use for those little bits and bobs of wood and its great fun.

John. B":1d9zcv73 said:
Are they selling yet in the gallery?
Curious to know how much mark-up the gallery is putting on your stuff?

Yes.

It varies John but on average a 1/3rd, although some items are doubled.

JT

:oops: :oops: Hi everyone, you all know there is always one that comes along, so I admit it, here I am. Can you please enlighten me as to what is the CA/BLO method actually is. :?: :?: :?:

braveheart":2je51yc7 said:
:oops: :oops: Hi everyone, you all know there is always one that comes along, so I admit it, here I am. Can you please enlighten me as to what is the CA/BLO method actually is. :?: :?: :?:

its a witches brew of cryanolate glue (ie super glue) and boiled liniseed oil - not a mixture that appeals to me but the results speak for themselves

24 carat gold is pure gold and you can score it with your finger nail. Only place I've ever seen it was in the gold markets in arab countries where they sold it in ingots . Doubt very much that's what the pens are, cost you a fortune and would be useless for pens.

Pete

Bodrighy":1vxqshoo said:
24 carat gold is pure gold and you can score it with your finger nail. Only place I've ever seen it was in the gold markets in arab countries where they sold it in ingots . Doubt very much that's what the pens are, cost you a fortune and would be useless for pens.

Pete

:roll: Nothing like skimming over whats written without reading it properly eh Pete :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bodrighy":24x2pmto said:

Pete

Yes on the 24crt pens the plating is extremely thin & subsequently covered with a lacquer to aid wear. I have seen it removed with burnishing cream.
The more expensive kits have harder gold and are presumably plated on trees for better controlled depth.

johnny.t.":3bj2gvo0 said:
Bodrighy":3bj2gvo0 said:

Pete

:roll: Nothing like skimming over whats written without reading it properly eh Pete :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm missing something here by the look of it. Flitting between the shed and the computer so quite possible.

Pete

Well, I tried it after watching the Youtube thing, and honestly couldn't notice any effect at all :? Must have been doing something wrong :cry:

Latest posts

Back