More library cabinets - purple this time

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just realised (when defending the green ones) that I haven't posted pics of the bookcases at the other end of the great hall from the library.

The colour scheme is different down there so a new colour was called for. I think they work very well but it should be noted that it is a LOT lighter at that end of the hall. They would look black at the library end.

A couple of pics by me as I finished them and a couple of low res ones by the client with the room dressed (They are sending high res ones on disc).

woodburnercabinets1-full.jpg

woodburnercabinets2-full.jpg

dininghallwithbeams72-full.jpg

dininghallfrombalcony72dpi-full.jpg

librarywithpiano72-full.jpg

I imagine these will be better received by the anti green brigade!!

Cheers

Tim

stunning as usual tim! That house is lovely and the owner certainly love to read!

Do you find you are producing these quicker now?

Paul Chapman":h4oumbzg said:
I like the purple ones as well :D That place is almost as big as my house :^o :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

That's not their house though! Its just the building for the library and studies. This is the house:

House-large.jpg

Its really not too shabby at all!

Cheers

Tim

Very, very nice Tim, congratulations.

That room is about the size of one of my bathrooms in the west wing 'cept no piano, that would be silly.

Dom

Lovely work, and what an amazing place to put them in. There can't be many places where a pair of two-story book cases can get lost at the bottom end of a room.

Have they commissioned matching ladders to reach the higher shelves?

i'm suitably impressed, and the colour is much more grand! Just one question, what was the reasoning for having one book case wider than the other?

Thanks all

ByronBlack":1z1m9yda said:
i'm suitably impressed, and the colour is much more grand! Just one question, what was the reasoning for having one book case wider than the other?

The woodburner is not central and the left hand cabinet is as wide as it can be. In the top pic you may be able to see the floor that I had to build to bring it up to level. If both cabs were the same, narrower width, the right hand one looked skinny. So given the brief to also maximise book space it made more sense to centre around the woodburner and vary the width.

Fecn":1z1m9yda said:
Have they commissioned matching ladders to reach the higher shelves?
we are in discussion re ladders at the mo.

waterhead37":1z1m9yda said:
Looks terrific - well done! What next?

The competition one! Folks can vote here :wink:

Dom Valente":1z1m9yda said:
That room is about the size of one of my bathrooms in the west wing 'cept no piano, that would be silly.

No piano - how very common!

WiZeR":1z1m9yda said:
Do you find you are producing these quicker now?

Sort of - I know the design works but the gilding is labour intensive and they are also pretty damn big so they are a pain to move about in the workshop.

Thanks for all you kind comments. One of the things I've really enjoyed about this long job is getting to know the clients. They have become friends and are really very nice people who understand the time it takes to do good work. Plus there's always coffee and biscuits in the morning and cake in the afternoon and if I take my dogs with me they walk them with theirs. So much nicer than the 'I've seen your ad and since you are local you must be cheap' brigade.

Cheers

Tim

I know what you mean Tim. I must be cheap. I did a chequer-board side-table from some old window frames. Okay, the timber was given to me, but I still ought to have charged more than £25.00.

I'm a sucker for pensioners' tales of woe; and I am 68 myself!

:)

John

Fantastic stuff Tim, with the size of that place you may have a job for life! i didn't realise just how big the bookcases were until I saw the doors to the left, they must be 18' tall or so.

John

Hi Tim

They are just beautiful except, of course, for the colour. :lol:

They seem to be huge. What are their dimensions?

It must have been difficult designing them to take account of the fire being offset and to still achieve, for me, a balanced feel.

Cheers
Neil

Latest posts

Back