More Aldi!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
I've only just got back with my Dremel-clone (and very good it seems, but time will tell).

21st February Specials:
850W Peak/650W Constant - generator - £59.99
24v Combi Drill (only 1 battery) - £34.99
4½" Angle Grinder - £14.99 (Discs £3.99 a set, 4 different sets)
204 piece drill bit set (201 sizes you'll never need?) £14.99
Rigger boots - £16.99 pair
Rapid set cement, Hand Cleaner, Rubble Sacks.

Avoid the egg boiler. I've got one and it isn't worth it...

25th Feb - must have - milk-flavouring straws. Put the straw in your milk and it changes colour and flavour! How cool is that?

Meanwhile, in other news, Lidl have a cordless car polisher for £24.99 on the 25th. Must be useful for soemthing...

Keep these posts up Smudger. I got the files and digital calipers last week. Wouldn't have known they were there is it weren't for your reports.

Cheers

Pete

PeterBassett":30n3aym9 said:
Keep these posts up Smudger. I got the files and digital calipers last week. Wouldn't have known they were there is it weren't for your reports.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks, Pete. You don't think I'm becoming slightly... obsessed?

I never really found their fruit and veg that good. their butternut squash are the cheapest around but I found most of the veg were too old.

Farm shop for veg or the missus grows her own.

I just bought three of their fruit trees, didn't fancy and of the tools ;)

Aldi in France do better biscuits, and the fruit 'n veg is OK. Some stuff like pasta can be good, but the supplies are intermittent. I couldn't do a 'proper' shop there.

Be carefull with the grinding discs, I once bought a couple from the local Aldi, and they were downright dangerous to use, when you started grinding small particles of the disc broke of and were launched at you at warp speed 9! Be sure to have all your ppe on when trying these, they might be off better quality but I doubt it!

Chris_belgium":2q53pkvj said:
Be carefull with the grinding discs, I once bought a couple from the local Aldi, and they were downright dangerous to use, when you started grinding small particles of the disc broke of and were launched at you at warp speed 9! Be sure to have all your ppe on when trying these, they might be off better quality but I doubt it!

Strangely enough I was just about to say how good the Aldi angle grinder discs are.
Not only am I a H&S professional but I also train abrasive wheels users/mounters too, so had considered those aspects.

Anyone using an angle grinder without at least a full face mask is barking mad IMHO.

I suspect that the reason these tools are so cheap is very variable manufacturing and quality control processes. I am a bit worried about that, and how much exploitation goes into cheap tools as much as cheap trainers. As stated in the Chinese planes thread a few days ago.

EXCEPT
Aldi & Lidl are German.
The German parent imports the stuff into the EEC and if it don't match standards (DIN VDE etc) it sits in customs.

The chinese know they can't pull the wool over their eyes like stuff arriving at our docksides. We have the same rules & laws of course but not the will to enforce them.

Personally, I'd believe anything from these shops were rigoriously checked along the suppy routes. You are unlikely to get the same from a British supplier.

lurker":jpgiqhfw said:
Chris_belgium":jpgiqhfw said:

Strangely enough I was just about to say how good the Aldi angle grinder discs are.
Not only am I a H&S professional but I also train abrasive wheels users/mounters too, so had considered those aspects.

Anyone using an angle grinder without at least a full face mask is barking mad IMHO.

Could very well be but on something so potentially dangerous as angle grinder blades I won't try to save any money! Imagine the velocity of large parts of the blade when it desintegrates (spelling) at full speed?

The ones I used were total rubbish, I wasn't even forcing the grinder or anything like that, just barely touching the metal and parts went flying! I am not very safety minded I have to admit but this was a step too far even for me :D

Smudger":z5y9xx22 said:
I see your point. But they are looking at the CE conformity, not the individual quality control.

The only way you can meet safety standards ( which is what CE conformity is) is have good quality systems so one does begat the other.

I used to be chief Standards engineer for a well known Japanese electrical company & believe me, we used to jump through the hoops for our German customers whereas the English ones were only interested in the price.
Poor designs ( I'm mainly talking electical safety here) were imported to the UK but the same products would not go to Germany. Even though technicallly the same rules applied throughout the EEC.

By the way, the French were only intersted that the manual was written in "good" french :lol:

Latest posts

Back