Money for old shavings...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rorschach":39z9oofy said:
That smoker idea works well, I have done similar using an old wok and a grill rack. I didn't risk it indoors, used a camping stove and smoked it outside.

Using a stock pot, with a well fitting lid, and a tinfoil seal, there's really very, very little smoke escape.

BugBear

bugbear":204i3oq9 said:
Rorschach":204i3oq9 said:
That smoker idea works well, I have done similar using an old wok and a grill rack. I didn't risk it indoors, used a camping stove and smoked it outside.

Using a stock pot, with a well fitting lid, and a tinfoil seal, there's really very, very little smoke escape.

BugBear

Oh I am not disagreeing with you, I just didn't have a suitable stock pot like yourself and since I have the means to do it outdoors, I did.

Rorschach":3ofa9rza said:
bugbear":3ofa9rza said:
Rorschach":3ofa9rza said:

BugBear

Oh I am not disagreeing with you, I just didn't have a suitable stock pot like yourself and since I have the means to do it outdoors, I did.

Ah, I see, I read too much into the word "risk".

BugBear

My friend had one of the stoves you see for about £12 (that usually come with four cylinders of gas) that he cooked all his fish on outdoors - saved stinking the house out. He had an old table just outside the kitchen door. Ideal.

phil.p":lm99mqox said:
My friend had one of the stoves you see for about £12 (that usually come with four cylinders of gas) that he cooked all his fish on outdoors - saved stinking the house out. He had an old table just outside the kitchen door. Ideal.

I have a gas camping stove I often use for things like this and for melting wax. I pick up the canisters at car boots for very little money as they are an old design. Also have a pressure petrol stove that is good when I need a lot of heat, petrol being very cheap in comparison to bottled gas, it's not good for gentle heat though.

sunnybob":1yphk805 said:
YorkshireMartin":1yphk805 said:
sunnybob":1yphk805 said:
nearly as lucrative as the guy selling used shotgun shells for a quid a time.

?? what, where? lol

He takes the old shotgun shells from a gun club (which will happily give away a truckload for free as they have no scrap value), cuts off the folded end, and sells them as wheel nut embellishments.
you can find him on the bay.

Full marks for the idea. Sad I havent got the energy to do it myself. My very small club alone throws away around 50,000 a year.

Thats strange, our local ground has people put them in bins for recycling.

Shotgun shells are not economic to recycle.
the bases used to be brass, which was worth the labour to seperate, but almost all now are iron, flashed with brass.
the iron base has a hard plastic insert and then a soft plastic side wall.

i did hear of an attempt to recover the plastic on a large scale, but mostly its just not viable, so even if they are put into recycling systems, they just go for landfill at the end of the sorting process. You'll see at the exit of most recycling centres the percentage they have managed to recycle. The one in my home town normally runs about 70-75%, the rest is pure rubbish.

Another hobby use for them is to glue a large rare earth magnet into the recess and use tham as fridge magnets.

For those who don't click on links - I had to include the ebay photo

s-l1600.jpg

They must have had a laugh designing the tin.

I get through a lot of dirty nappies and wet wipes here. What could I sell them on as?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 527
Maybe we should have different mark for "theoretically recyclable, but you're joking really, aren't you"? :D Half the stuff that's marked recyclable in reality probably isn't, it just makes people feel happier about the product. The one that really irritates me is uPVC (not that it's marked) - go to your "recycling centre" and the amount of that thrown away.

phil.p":2akbn4c4 said:
Half the stuff that's marked recyclable in reality probably isn't,

Well, there's a useful distinction between:

A what "can be recycled" (which is a matter of material science)

and

B what "can be recycled economically" (which is a matter of technology, economics, and politics).

What actually IS recycled is probably down to your local council's practical implementation of (B)

BugBear

I give all my wood shavings away to my neighbours for their composting toilet otherwise they would have to buy it in.
Even living an eco lifestyle as they do comes at a cost.

Most of my shavings from the thicknesser are used as bedding for the chickens then goes on the compost heap. The disposable nappies went on the woodburning stove, only when the wife wasn't about she didn't approve of it for some reason.

Aside from metals, very few things can be economically recycled and paper is the biggest con of the lot, much better to cut down more trees.

Back