Modified Stanley No. 10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyW

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought this may interest you all.

I was perusing FleaBay and came across this 'modified' Stanley No. 10.

Modified Stanley No 10 Here

At first I thought it was a 10 1/4 with the adjustable handle and spurs, but it isn't.

I can understand why the chap has installed the spurs for scoring or cutting across grain, similar to the Stanley 78 Duplex rebate plane, but for the life of me I can't understand the need for the two slots - one at the heel and one at the toe.

Any theories?

Jonny

I would agree with the previous - milled slots for a fence.

Looks as though he has done an OK job but I wonder how fragile the body is now?

David

Aaah a fence right enough guys. I would never have guessed that, although thinking about what a rebate plane is and does, it's obvious now.

Yeh I agree David, I did wonder if he's affected the structural integrity of the plane. Carriage planes are fragile enough around the curve of the mouth and can't take many drops from the bench (hence my rubber matting).

But as you say, he's made a damned fine job of it.

Jonny

I have a #10 I've been intending to add nickers to. Seems like an obvious thing for that plane.

Thankfully I have yet to test my rubber mat theory on my carriage planes. It has however, spared me some dunts on other planes I have.

Jonny

Latest posts

Back