Modern Planemaking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Ed

Established Member
Reaction score
I just read a couple of blog posts and felt moved to post about the open-mouthed awe I got from reading them.

First, Karl Holteys latest;

http://www.holteyplanes.com/blog/

and then Konrad Sauers;

http://sauerandsteiner.com/news/

both of which are records of some amazing modern planemaking. Whats interesting is that they are taking two quite different approaches, but aiming at a very similar market sector. Both are producing a product that I am unlikely to ever be able to afford, but I still feel happy to know that they are doing what they are as I feel it contributes to the overall feel of the current woodworking era that niche toolmakers like this can make a living doing what they do.

I am not too interested in the debate about wether they perform any better than a LN or LV plane, because I think they can be celebrated as examples of craftsmanship in toolmaking in their own right.

Anyway, I'm not really going anywhere with this, I just enjoyed the 2 blog posts and wanted to share.

Ed

They are great aren't they Ed, both these makers always manage to source some stunning pieces of wood for the infills as well. Holtey's dedication to the craft is unprecedented and his No 982 is on my lottery winning wish list. His sell off of the 11SAs is a unique opportunity to get a high class plane for a not too astronomical sum of money

Stunning planes Ed! Thanks for those links.

I am now voting rosewood as my most favourite wood EVER!

The workshop at Sauer must smell like perfume....I simply love that smell.

Jim

I've also been watching both their blogs for a while now, and the craftsmanship is amazing. Be it woodwork or metalwork, they are both masters and, as you say Ed, the world is a better place for their work and products.

Boz

Hi, Chaps

WOW some nice planes there! Cheared me up on a monday morning.

Pete

I can vouch for the stunning quality and utility of the Holtey 982. I have written a review of it after about 3 months use (sadly, I had to send it back) which will appear in F&C soon.

Jim

Holtey's blog is awe inspiring, he puts some serious effort into his work. If I were a millionare I'd have a rack of his planes in my shop, no doubt!

However, I do find his writing a bit offputting, both on the blog and on the website - it seems to be very.. defensive I guess is the best word. The sort of writing I'd see from someone that has been continually talked down on, rather than the sort of writing from someone thats absolutely at the top of his game.

I love reading these sorts of blogs, seeing the lengths that such high end professional toolmakers go to.

You are right to a degree, Karl seems to have to defend the cost of his planes, his arguments that infills are flawed due to the big chunk of wood in there that can move around (hence him making the 982) and then you have other debates like we had on here a while back where it's questioned whether his planes are truly handmade due to the amount of machining.

Naturally you become a little defensive. I would love to own one of his planes though and the 982 is a tool that could easily be displayed as art

I too can vouch for the quality and nice to see the WIP photos.

Here's one I made earlier (the plane brush !) :) :

holteyvd4.jpg

I have had the privilege of handling some Sauer planes too - very nicely crafted and one of our members has a very nice collection of them.

Rod

Rob - I bought some more in LVT in Toronto - will send you one (the brush I mean :) )

Rod (snowing again !)

There is no reason of course why a decent tool shouldn't look nice, but I'd be too scared to use such a plane! It's more a work of art!

Roy.

The Marcou planes look very nice too.

http://www.marcouplanes.co.nz/

I think Marcou planes are a bit more affordable. I think
I read somewhere that Marcou wants to produce cheaper
planes.

If I had the money, I would definitely buy one of those
expensive planes.

Ali

Trizza":1lg64rkz said:
However, I do find his writing a bit offputting, both on the blog and on the website - it seems to be very.. defensive I guess is the best word. The sort of writing I'd see from someone that has been continually talked down on, rather than the sort of writing from someone thats absolutely at the top of his game.

I just try to show exactly how much work I put into each plane . I have been trying to show this by my blog.

There I go again being defensive :D

karl5005":35y03z7x said:
I just try to show exactly how much work I put into each plane . I have been trying to show this by my blog.

Karl - I'm very happy how you write your Blog...after all it's your Blog and in my view there's no need to be defensive. That I'll ever be able to afford one of your masterpieces is debatable...just keep on doing what you do! Your Blog is also listed on my Blog as somewhere worth dipping into
:wink:

A very Merry Christmas to you and yours - Rob

karl5005":k46fh4t4 said:

:D Thanks for blogging about it Karl, its really great to see all the hard work you put in. I just wish I could afford one ;)

Latest posts

Back