Model Railway Wip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adidat

I will not buy anymore tools...
Reaction score
Evening all

have checked with the mods and got the green signal :lol: aslong as it had some wood in it.

i have finally decided to put together my railway that i have had for some time. So thought i would do a wip. I am planning quite a layout, but dont want it to be too crowded. im quite keen on EWS (england wales scotland) which are a railway livery. so planning to build some sort of depot with a ballast plant attached. then also have a 1900's railway yard on the other side to keep the older engines. then a farm, and considering an inert volcano to house a helix :-k

this layout is going to be n gauge as so much more can be done in a small space. i will be using peco track pinned through foam and mdf bass board with a pine frame. also i am installing a DCC system which makes it much easier to control and gives much more room for track and train expansion.

B & poo banana wood 2 sides planned. packaged 50 mm x 22 mm, more like 40 mm x 20 mm. and the planning was pretty shoddy. but it will do, just a simple frame screwed together over all size 2000 mm x 900 mm
IMAG0132.jpg

9mm mdf cut up into 2 1000 mm x 900 mm sections to fit in car. B & poo wall saw perfectley accurate which makes a change. and a big thumbs up to taunton B & Q =D> the operator was an extremely helpful man. shame about the cashier.
IMAG0133.jpg

this is the DCC unit im using its wireless. so tends to cut out when a direct line of sight is not maintained :( . also its gonna need batteries. i would have preferred a wired system but this is a very good system for the money.
IMAG0138.jpg

my first engine its made by dapol, its livery is LNER its a B1 similar to the springbok. because its so tiny (less the 30 mm tall) the motor and gubbins are in the tender and a drive shaft goes through the foot plate very clever stuff.
IMAG0134.jpg

this is a comparison between a hornby relatively small tank engine in OO gauge. to a large engine in n.
IMAG0135.jpg

more comparisons the exact same EWS coal wagon. N / OO
IMAG0137.jpg

same again this time points.
IMAG0139.jpg

next step is to attach tracks and build ups. coming soon. enjoy!

adidat

This will be an interesting one to watch. What is the helix you talk of? Normal hornby what gauge is that then?

thanks chems

maybe make something like this Helix

honrby is OO which is 1:75, and n is 1:160 :shock: tiny

adidat

Interesting. A regular client asked me to build a model railway baseboard last year - he said it was for his son, but the kid didn't seem terribly interested lol! - and it was surprisingly challenging. I bounced around a few model railway enthusiast forums looking for info and there were raging debates about the best materials to use - MDF being flat & stable, but hard to pin the track into, ply being easier to pin to but harder to get dead flat etc.. etc.. And when you think about it, because the track/trains are so small, any slight variation in level really makes a big difference, so billiard-table flatness/smoothness is the goal...

I suggested to my customer that we used foam board over MDF but he wasn't keen for some reason and I ended up using 12mm birch ply over a redwood underframe, much like the one you've made; worked very well. Finished size was about 2400 x 1400, built to fit into the corner of a basement playroom - had to be split in two lengthwise to get it in - and supported on adjustable-height trestle legs. There was also talk of rigging up some kind of pulley system so it could be hauled up to the ceiling if they needed the floor space, but nothing's come of that - thankfully!

Sadly I've not been back since so I've no idea how the proposed layout is progressing - look forward to seeing yours though!

Cheers, Pete

Nice to see a model railway on here for a change.

Done some myself in the past and my pennyworth of most set ups is that they are always flat earth. I prefer to see at least some natural landscape with variations on elevation and depression even if the track is mostly level.

Best of luck with your endeavours and looking forward to seeing more.

To be honest dw it was your post a month or so ago that inspired me to do a wip

Adidat

I never succeeded with my layout in getting the landscape depression, looking back I should have elevated the track to start with then it is possible to get both land levels in to the scene.

BTW Adidat, I have around 30 years of the Railway Modeller magazine stored in the shed unused these days, many wonderful layouts and plans.

I used to purchase them in yearly sets at those model exhibitions.

Adidat,

Don't know if it's near enough for you but I shall be exhibiting at Trainwest in Melksham this weekend with my layout Red River. This has two helices, is N scale and may give you some ideas. If you can come and see it in the flesh it may give you some ideas, otherwise pm me if you want to talk through how to build a helix or any other aspect of layout building. Mine incidentally uses box girders made of ply for the main structural components. Anybody else reading this and going to the show please make yourself known if you want a look round the back to see the bare bones as it were.

Tony Comber

shipbadger":29xl5x9v said:
Adidat,

Don't know if it's near enough for you but I shall be exhibiting at Trainwest in Melksham this weekend with my layout Red River. This has two helices, is N scale and may give you some ideas. If you can come and see it in the flesh it may give you some ideas, otherwise pm me if you want to talk through how to build a helix or any other aspect of layout building. Mine incidentally uses box girders made of ply for the main structural components. Anybody else reading this and going to the show please make yourself known if you want a look round the back to see the bare bones as it were.

Tony Comber

How old is your layout? I seem to recall a model of the same name years ago?

First started showing Red River in 2004, it was in the January and February 2005 editions of Continental Modeller. Done over 20 shows now, usually do two or three a year, but sometimes more. Truro is as far south and Derby as far north so far. Been to a few places more than once (by popular demand!)

Tony Comber

shipbadger":3lesn9uf said:
First started showing Red River in 2004, it was in the January and February 2005 editions of Continental Modeller. Done over 20 shows now, usually do two or three a year, but sometimes more. Truro is as far south and Derby as far north so far. Been to a few places more than once (by popular demand!)

Tony Comber

Yes, I thought I recognised the name.

When I was a boy about 6

My dad made me a oval track with 2 siding for shunting ,

It had 1 shunt engine and about 6 carriages plus a station and signal box

it was on a 6ft x 3 ft board so it could go behind the wardrobe when not in use

Come the day of the big reveal Christmas Day It was put down on the front room floor we had uncle Alan and wife round as quests

I had to keep asking " Dad can I have a go now please "

as the big boys " Dad and uncle Alan kept commandeering it " :(

I did get to have a go eventually

Still have the engine and carriages :mrgreen:

Blister what you are displaying is what the LMS enthusiasts nicknamed a Jinty, your model is T gauge around 3mm to a foot.

Displayed below is a Jinty in 00 gauge, scratched built in brass using scissors to cut brass and a solder in iron to put it together using plans from a Railway modeller magazine illustration of engine plan.

Attachments

• jinty2w.jpg
    jinty2w.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 873
  • jinty w.jpg
    jinty w.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 873
Adidat, this looks very interesting so will be watching closely, no pressure!! :D

I've got a "roundtuit" job too as I've been collecting Fleischmann N-Gauge for some years now and have plans to do a similar thing once the house has got a bit further on. Since going to Switzerland I have fell in love with the Alps and their train routes are probably some of the best in the world. So my Fleischmann trains are Swiss for this reason. Having Alps in a N-scale scene is going to be very challenging scale wise but we shall see. I have no plans made yet as other jobs are more important before I get on with this.

Anyway, keep up the good work!
Steve

seems to have gone down better than i thought. lots of interest, just need to get some wire for the next stage, but working 12 hours day dosent leave much time for shopping :lol:

Shipbadger- Thanks for the kind offer but sadly i fear that the 120 mile round trip to be too much for my 125cc (even with its brand new chain and sprockets). but some pictures would be great especially of the internals, im sure other the forumites would appreciate it as well.

blister- thanks for posting those, i think they would run on the modern hornby stuff, i have a full loop of 3rd radius (i think) you could have for a tenner inc postage

tiddles- :roll: not really sure what your trying to say in your post.

thanks for all the encouragement

adidat

Latest posts

Back