Mobile Bases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fitzroy

All the gear...
Reaction score
Morning,

I want to mobilise my machines in the new shed. The base (linked below) gets good reviews on Amazon but having searched on here previous posts seem to slate them. I’ve three machines I want bases for wadkin surface planer (180kg) dewalt dw1150 P/T (75kg) zyto table saw (100kg). Any views on if this base will cope ok with these weights of machine?

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOBI ... SwGzlTwC4H

Cheers

Fitz.

The Rutlands ones state they can carry 180kg and seem to be cheaper so I’d ask after comments on that as well.

i had a rutlands one a few years back, and i didnt rate it. I had a 6" planer on it and a kity 419 on another. they just seemed a bit flimsy and over time nuts and bolts would shake free. Nylock nuts would probably have solved that issue.

I wouldnt put the wadkin on the rutlands one. you may get away with the other items.

Personally, i am going to make a couple of these over winter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZVj3AY9rJw

I've got my router table on a Axminster base and agree it definitely does whats required.

The Rutlands one is not good if you need to move machines across any uneven surface, the wheels lift the frame off the floor by a very small amount and the whole thing grounds if you have more than about half a centimetre of height difference between any of the wheels.

Make your own. My experience of the Axi and Rutlands mobile bases is that both are poor.

Marcos has above given the link to Peter Parfits site and his design. I have made 3 of these and with 75Kg castors bought cheaply they work superbly well.

By the way when looking at castors consider the circumference of them as the larger the better.

I bought two from the bay recently, one for my DeWalt DW1150 PT and one for my Metabo PK200 table saw, £36 each and work fine for that price. Both are from Woodford tooling and purport to handle up to 250kg.

I can't corroborate that weight but they handle the above machines fine. They look very similar to the others at double the price.

Cheers
Andy

Well I have made my own out of 30mm box section steel and bed iron. Two opposite sides in box, joined with the bed iron, and some flat stock for diagonal bracing. I welded two of the bases, but just bolted two others and they all work fine. I used 4" castors which I bought from a local auction for peanuts. The bed iron was free. The box section was offcuts from a gate I made some while ago, so the overall cost was negligible but if I had to buy the stuff I might well buy the finished article, since castors are a bit pricey. The advantage of making your own is you can make it the size you want and I suspect that would be more rigid than an adjustable one, but that's just a guess since I don't have any adjustable ones.
The ability to move heavy kit around though, is brilliant. I even have a mobile base for my flail mower. When I take it off the little tractor I drop it straight onto the mobile base. Then I can move it around easily but the real advantage is ease of aligning the mower to the tractor when re- fitting, so much easier than levering it into place with iron bars.

K

beech1948":37ph3twb said:
Make your own. My experience of the Axi and Rutlands mobile bases is that both are poor.

Marcos has above given the link to Peter Parfits site and his design. I have made 3 of these and with 75Kg castors bought cheaply they work superbly well.

By the way when looking at castors consider the circumference of them as the larger the better.
I've been using commodes that were discarded from a nursing home. Cheap and cheerful, but does the job for my drill press.

beech1948":1x0v0pwz said:
Vince,

Comodes ?? Share a picture
I've taken before and after pictures, but the files are too big to upload and I'm too dull to alter them! I've posted the pictures on the FB group page.

Back