Mobile base for Xcaliber 806

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9fingers

Established Member
Reaction score
Well after 18 months since first ordering ( don't ask - long story - not relevant), I have taken delivery of my 806 table saw and I need a mobile base for it.
I know Philly has the Delta one but I can't find a UK source for this.

This http://www.deltamachinery.com/index.asp?e=139&p=2144
would do nicely. Has anyone tried importing from the US maybe via a kind forum member?? Might just fit in a suitcase.

I've looked at pictures of the Axminster offerings and read (somewhere) of the reduction in the quality of recent models so I'm a bit dubious about those.
The Rutlands ones look the same as Axminster but have different quoted load capacity.

Most seem to work by lifting some of the wheels when stationary but leaving the weight on the others giving localised pressure on the floor (mine is plywood) and the potential for wobbling when cutting. The saw weighs in at about 400 lbs so rubber wheels will be likely to deform and not roll well and hard ones could dig into the floor.

Can anyone suggest a good way ahead?
Are the Axminster ones OK or a bit marginal when loaded up?
Should I be looking to make something custom for the job?

So many questions and so little time!

regards

Bob

I have several of the Axminster (aka Rutlands) mobile bases.

It doesn't matter, floor loading wise, whether you have wheels down or the two feet...at least as far as my A level physics goes ! The wheels are not rubber but hard plastic. They aren't large enough to go over some stuff...but depends on how tidy you can keep your floor.

How do they perform?

Tolerably well. Yes..they do flex while moving...it's a thin metal plate that your machine sits on or suitably beefed up with judicious bits of ply or MDF. Once the two feet have been lowered then they are reasonably stable. OK they rock a bit.

What have I got on them?

Axminster CT150 planer....pretty heavy

Kity Spindle Moulder ...very heavy

Basato 5 bandsaw ....seriously heavy

Thanks for the reply Roger.

The xcaliber saw is a bit heavier than even your bandsaw so I'm still a bit dubious about the Axminster/Rutlands bases.

I might look into importing a Delta from the US or get designing/welding to make something. I'm not comfortable with something that will still move a bit when it is meant to be parked.

I also have a big old Startrite BS that would benefit from being able to be moved. This is much heavier than the saw and also has a much higher centre of gravity. Some careful design will be needed for safety I reckon.

Best Regards

Bob

Hi 9fingers
Don't Woodford sell a base specifically for this machine? I thought they did. Or is it just the same as the Ax one?

I have the Ax one on (or should that be Under?) my P/T and it works OK. Main problen is that the rear wheels are fixed, so it is easy to pull in and out, but not easy to move left and right.

As a lifting mechanism I was impressed with the Record Power one for their bandsaw, as demonstrated by Alan Holtham on the RP Bandsaw Masterclass DVD. Foot-operated, all four legs come up and it can be moved around, then when seated, all four legs are on the ground. I'm not sure how you would achieve the same thing with a closed cabinet side, though.

I have also just taken delivery of an 806: they threw in a free mobile base (as compensation for late delivery) and it works a treat. It's normally about £33 I think
The saw is having a dedicated circuit wired in as I write: looking forward to playing with the new toy !

Steve Maskery":38urcz4x said:
Hi 9fingers
Don't Woodford sell a base specifically for this machine? I thought they did. Or is it just the same as the Ax one?

Just looked at it and Steve is right. It's identical to the Axminster base. Axminster rate the base at 230kg max which coincides with the 806 all-up weight, I think. Why not get one and try it? If it doesn't suit your TS then maybe there is something else that will benefit?

Latest posts

Back