ML8

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larrythelathe

Reaction score
Moderator, Fellow Turners,

Just a brief intro, to say hi and that after 47 years I have got my dear ol' dad's Myford ML8 up and running and am now turning wood into sawdust. The assistance you lot have given me in getting started again (after many unsucessful starts) has been invaluable, so thank you all.

Larry is the name of the lathe ... as I wouldn't presume to know anything about anything, so I guess this post also includes thanks from him. (Now, the oil must go in somewhere?)

Regards
H

Old aviation saying: There are no stupid questions, just stupid mistakes.

The ML8 is a very well built lathe. Mine is the yellow version so quite old - Myford changed the colour to silver and finally green. They are a dated design now compared to today's lathes but I am sure they will outlast shiny new Chaiwanese lathes many times over.
If you are interested I have a few ML8 brochures plus a few price lists fom the 1980's . PM me your email address if you want and I will send you a few scans.

K

Bob, K, thanks for welcome.

Ironicaly, dad bought the ml8 (also in cream) back in about '65, a couple of years before retirement. I find myself in exactly the same position! The only addition has been new motor and a scroll chuck. I've just order a live centre, a spare head and tailstock and got some good dust extraction. ( Axminster 0.5 micron solid filter ....with the rotor blades on top). Kids bought me loads of blanks for Christmas, now I only have to wait 605 days before I can use it all.

Cheers,
H

Back