Hi and I hate you all :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree 101% with sunnybob's post (despite what he'll try and have you believe, I think we're similar ages)! 8)

In another post we went through all this jargon stuff, and whilst it's clear that just about all trades & professions have their fair share (anyone want to talk about DME, ADIRU and RVSM for example)?

BUT, to me anyway, what's confusing (if not down right annoying) is the way that the "professional" PC brigade (mis)uses "normal" English. Why talk about "boot" or "boot up" when you mean "Start" or "Switch On" for example??? Nah, that would be much TOO easy, 'cos everyone would understand Switch On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, we've been all through this before, and Luddites like me (and you Bob) aren't going to change anything. Don't even want to try really (but it DOES give pleasure to make fun of these people sometimes)!

BUT, as also said in another posts, I AM now more than fed up with MS, do NOT see the point in paying extra for Apple, so I AM going to try some version or other of linux - next year.

I'll let you all know how it goes - eventually. DON'T hold yer breath

while on the "raw nerve" subject, why do i have to "shut down" my computer?
Why cant I "turn it off"? Like a radio or a TV?
:roll: 8) 8) 8)

And to be fair to the old swiss gnome, there aint many of us left who can remember the Queen's coronation street parties, and 8 sweets for a penny. :roll: :roll: =D> =D>

AES":18wiv5qi said:
BUT, to me anyway, what's confusing (if not down right annoying) is the way that the "professional" PC brigade (mis)uses "normal" English. Why talk about "boot" or "boot up" when you mean "Start" or "Switch On" for example??? Nah, that would be much TOO easy, 'cos everyone would understand Switch On!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
you do turn your computer on.
then your computer boots up. it's from the term bootstrap loading, which comes from analogies. 1, the first portion of a reel to reel tape being called the bootstrap. 2. pull yourself up by your bootstraps. it's a teeny little bit of program that starts when you turn your computer on and loads everything else, like your fancy HMI and GUI for instance. (yes I'm using those to annoy you :) ). unfortunately it's been misappropriated by the masses over the years, but that's just language in general really.

now i'm off to GAF about STE with a MOFO who BYOB and no reason to YOLO. pineapple it.

Get some guys here talking about hand plane types and setup. Then you'll be confused. :shock:

Back