Hi and I hate you all :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titan_uk

Established Member
Reaction score
After lurking for ages, just wanted to say hi and thanks for a great (and really annoying) site and forum members, (re)learning a lot from you guys and gals. I'll come to that after a brief about me....

So.. I leave school / uni many moons ago, pipper about a bit with Wigan Groundwork, etc, etc and end up apprentice hardwood door/window maker (bit shy of calling it apprentice joiner). Do that for a while and then decide this new PC 'fad' is the future - a bit like garlic bread! So do that for a bit (30 odd years) and apparently have somehow been designated an expert. During this, off and on, playing around with bits of wood stuck and screwed to various things in the home.

So.. son decides he wants to be a woodworker and is off learning stuff. I start to look for info and hit this site. As I fall farther down the rabbet hole (shamelessly plagiarised) I wonder why the hell did I waste my time Cucumbering about with PCs, servers, networking when I could have been Cucumbering about with wood!! Spent a fair bit building a long double garage as a workshop for my son /cough...and am now looking forward to getting some equipment in. Err I mean my son is.

To summarise:
Spent hours watching vids you lot suggested
learning a lot / enjoying / laughing at your replies on the forums
spent lots of money of a big garage
looking to spend more on equipment
starting to think I should retire early to pursue this...

Thanks for nothing!!

Regards
Mark

P.S. If I can help with your PC, network, server queries in any way; I'd be more than happy to assist

hi, welcome to being a posting member, just remember we are all very happy to help you spend on kit and to give "totally unbiased" reviews on what we have. Regarding IT stuff would suggest you arrange to have your future holidays somewhere in the med with a chap you may meet here called bob he has a very happy and bright disposition apparently :)

Ah rubbish. Who let the pie eaters in. There goes the neighbourhood.

Just messing. Welcome to the home of procrastination. Be warned, theirs a few beasties who get lost in technobable so keep your IT hat pulled tightly over your ears.

Hi and I hate you too! :)

Most of us have wondered how life would be if we made a different choice instead of farting off the monocle on our hindsight. #-o

Now that you have a nice shop to play in work a little more with the computers to get a big dust collector system so you can enjoy longer.

Know anything about Macs? Mine is unhappy and some kind of bug has it dragging its feet a lot.

Pete

novocaine":317iubnr said:
Ah rubbish. Who let the pie eaters in. There goes the neighbourhood.

Such slander. I never said I am one, just worked for them.. I'm a lobby gobbler.

Inspector":317iubnr said:
Know anything about Macs? Mine is unhappy and some kind of bug has it dragging its feet a lot.
Pete

Yes a fair bit (Apple certified tech, certified iOS) but it's been a while, I'm more a SAN guy (first hit..'what is a san'). PM me with details if you like (and are able to)

I guess I'm a lucky one.
Although it seems to be a bit of an out of control beast at present, my bills for the past 4 weeks were greater than my first years turnover in business.

Sheffield Tony":3rs0zilj said:
Titan_uk":3rs0zilj said:
I'm more a SAN guy (first hit..'what is a san').

Not quite sane ? :wink:

Oh. Oh! Me sir!! I know!!! Storage Area Network =P~

Gotta love working in IT. Which profession as more acronyms? LAN, WAN, VLAN, DNS, DHCP, VPN to name but a few networking related ones. Even the software we use gets acronymed to hell and back.

Welcome aboard Mark. Now go start a how to sharpen a Grrripper thread (homer)

Inspector":3tg8lylk said:
Hi and I hate you too! :)

Most of us have wondered how life would be if we made a different choice instead of farting off the monocle on our hindsight. #-o

Now that you have a nice shop to play in work a little more with the computers to get a big dust collector system so you can enjoy longer.

Pete

Fire up Activity Monitor and look at the CPU usage to see if anything is hogging those CPU's. Look at Memory (pressure if it's newish Mac).

Would help if you told us what spec/OS version/age of machine etc.

Take a look at Console...see if there is something in that list of gobbledegook keep repeating itself. Don't worry about what the text means...just if it seems to be going round in a loop.

Welcome to the forum,

You know, I used to be very handy with a computer 5+ years ago or so (Or at least I think I was) when I was in school/college and ever since I started working on the woodwork full time it's amazing how much information I've lost or just got left behind with the advancement of new software and technology. It's got to the point where the stuff I would've found incredibly simple a few years ago absolutely boggles me now. I guess the space for I.T. information got swapped out for joinery information, couldn't cram it all in! :lol:

Originally when I was first thinking about future job prospects, I always thought it would be I.T. related from a very early age. I was fortunate enough to do a 'Construction' course in the local college 1 day per week at 14-16 which adjusted my sails slightly. Looking back, I'm very happy I went the route I did because I think most of the jobs I would've been looking at in the I.T. industry would be high-supply and very competitive job pools where you'd struggle to stand out if you weren't an absolute genius, the pay probably wouldn't have been that great and you'd be constantly chasing your tail with the ever-changing technology and such, which I've recently experienced. At least with the woodwork, wood is wood and steel cuts it, there's not much more to it than that. Except there is! :p

I don't dread a single day going into work, even during stressful times, if anything it's a bit like therapy sometimes... Just you, the machines purring and the sound of wood being cut, wonderful.

A guy I was in hospital with about five years ago told his son had a good job in IT and had taken a couple of years out because they had a young child. It changed so much in that time he never got back into it, and he had had a £250,000 p. a. salary.

I used to write straight forward programs for BBC B and Commodore 64 but can't program the bl**dy TV these days. :? :lol:

Lons":200igvcy said:
I used to write straight forward programs for BBC B and Commodore 64 but can't program the bl**dy TV these days. :? :lol:

Were you one of those sadists who wrote "games" that then got printed out over MANY pages in computer magazines for spotty teenagers to hand type into thier shiny new BBC B's over the course of a week - only to find it wouldn't work, and then spent another week looking for the bits they got wrong, then another week looking for the OTHER bits they got wrong to eventually get a working "game" that was only marginally better than PONG?

Was that you was it?

turnip.

rafezetter":3ocpl0qv said:
Lons":3ocpl0qv said:

Were you one of those sadists who wrote "games" that then got printed out over MANY pages in computer magazines for spotty teenagers to hand type into thier shiny new BBC B's over the course of a week - only to find it wouldn't work, and then spent another week looking for the bits they got wrong, then another week looking for the OTHER bits they got wrong to eventually get a working "game" that was only marginally better than PONG?

Was that you was it?

turnip.
:lol: :lol: No that wasn't me though my very young son at the time spent hours typing a few in and then I'd have to correct them. It did help expand his grey matter a bit and he was streets ahead with his numerate skills and general ability.
I'm old enough to remember the black and white pong game :oops:

Droogs":bcwbh7xx said:
hi, welcome to being a posting member, just remember we are all very happy to help you spend on kit and to give "totally unbiased" reviews on what we have. Regarding IT stuff would suggest you arrange to have your future holidays somewhere in the med with a chap you may meet here called bob he has a very happy and bright disposition apparently :)

Did somebody call?
Bit late to this game, thats how slow my laptop is.
But my point is made (again (hammer) )

Nice gentleman comes along and offers to help with my computer, and the very first mention in the next post has the entire forum trying to work out what he's saying :roll: .

Computer people CAN NOT use words of two or less syllables without stringing together random letters or linking lines of websites that when I get there, make no sense at all without years of IT training.

Sir, I suspect you have seen at least some of my rants on IT subjects, but the question remains the same; is linux worth the learning of for an OAP (see, I can do acronyms) who only wants to surf the web and rant on internet forums?

yours respectfully, Mr grumpy of sunnyville 8)

Back