Mixing Shellac and Acrylic

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prologus

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Another dumb one, but if nobody asks the dumb ones, how do we learn? Am I right in thinking that using an acrylic lacquer over a shellac sanding sealer will give me problems?

I doubt it, the shellac is spirit base solvent, Acrylic water based so should not react.

Test sample?

I know I've painted Acrylic detail over some oak that I had previously used shellac friction polish on with no problems.

We use de-waxed shellac with no problems.We colour up the wood and if we wish to seal the colour in with a reversable finish ie:shellac because we need to see WHAT the colour is trully like,if it is wrong we can take it off easily and ajust the colour to as near the colour that the client requires,also you are not locking in a chemical problem under a modern finish that is very difficult to get off and when you do you have a greater chance of SANDING THROUGH THE VENEER!!!! we will use de-waxed because any finish will take on top of this we have not had any problems with chemical reactions or the finish flaking off.I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IF ANY ONE OUT THERE HAS HAD A PROBLEM IF THEY DO WHAT I AM SUGGESTING HERE [do not use normal shellac because this has wax in it which of course a finish on top is then much more likely to flake off.]
I hope this helps
Anselm. :wink:

Missed this one by a week but as Anselm says De waxed shellac is absolutely perfect under acrylic products (or anything else) but shellac sanding sealer (from our experience) is a no no. Because of the zinc stearate in SSS we have found that it rejects any finish bar a wax or other shellac solution.

Prologus, looks like you've been lucky, just don't rub a coin over the surface as a white line may appear which is the two products rejecting each other under pressure.

Latest posts

Back