Mitre saw - Table Saw (Ryobi Vs SIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gserghiou

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

my plans to aqcuire a planer have failed !!!

so im now looking to make a decision between these 2 brands regarding mitre saws and table saws.

These tools are 'right' for my budget (i know im getting the lower lower end stuff) but i still need some more help before i decide.

First of all, if you had to chose between RYOBI and SIP what would be your preference and lastly i need you to make a decision for me and tell me what to go for regarding:

Table saws (which one between the two and please give me a reason why you say so)

ebay link1

ebay link2

and as far as mitre saws plese chose one of these:

ebay link3

ebay link4

Thanks all,

George

I can't help you with the table saws, I'm afraid.

With the mitre saws, you've picked out two that are actually very similar. It's hard to choose between them... I'd expect Ryobi stuff to be slightly better quality, but I know there plenty of people who are happy with SIP saws...

What I will add is that the blades on both these saws are quite coarse (40t). You may find you want something finer (60t-80t) in time.

The Ryobi saw has a 30mm bore, which is pretty standard for most saw blades (Freud, etc.). But with the SIP, which is only 16mm, you'd have to buy a reducing bush (quite cheap) for the blade so it would neatly fit over the arbour.

Hope this helps somewhat. :)

Hi OPJ,

thanks for the reply,

im afraid im not familiar with the technical terms u use( im an amateur woodworker , infact i would not even callmysef an amateur).

by saying bore what exactly do you mean ?

Thanks,

George

gserghiou":2wjm3eyc said:
im afraid im not familiar with the technical terms u use( im an amateur woodworker , infact i would not even callmysef an amateur).

by saying bore what exactly do you mean ?

Thanks,

George

Hi George - "bore" in this instance is the size of the hole in the middle of the blade that is used to mount it on the driveshaft (or "arbour")

As said,30mm is quite a standard size,and gives you a good choice of blades - number of teeth affects how neat a cut you get; if crosscutting,generally the more teeth,the cleaner the cut.If ripping along the grain,something like a 24 tooth blade is more common.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Hi andrew.

Thanks for the info on the bore-arbour...now i understand it :)

i am aware of the rpiping and cross cuting differenmce and the blade3s needed. So judjing by what you say as per number of tooths, the suopplied blades will compromise finish quality (less teeth) but its a 'dual' purspose blade that might be good enough for me ?

I know i am getting the lowest end tools, but really that is my budget..i will be doing the occasional cut and i cannot justify spending much more for a decent product !!!!

So am just trying to decide which is better of this low end tools !!!! :wink:

Thanks again, George

P.S It seems to be Ryobi Mittre saw at the moment...anyone else to second that?

As some of the guys have already said, these lower end table saws are generally unsatisfactory. It is worth considering if you really need a table saw at all. For the money you would spend on a budget table saw you could buy a good quality hand-held circular saw (Makita, Dewalt etc) and make yourself a sawboard. This is the home made version of the rail systems sold by Festool and others but a lot cheaper. With a good saw/blade this system is very useful for cutting up sheet material like plywood, MDF etc and with a little care can be very accurate. You can also make a crosscut jig for crosscutting timber, rather than a chopsaw. There are lots of designs for jigs and tools out there in webland, that don't cost a lot to make and might serve you better than bottom of the range power tools that might put you off woodworking because they give inaccurate results or won't hold a setting from one cut to the next.
Also some hand tools, like a reasonable quality hand plane and a shooting board (see this forum for lots of ideas there) will help you make accurate, well fitting joints and projects to be proud of.

George_N":26p3zmfx said:
It is worth considering if you really need a table saw at all.

Hi George,

Im considering this already..... :lol:

i used a piece of aluminium to make some cuts before (with my jig saw, cause i dont have a circular saw.) bt the system with the two boards to line it up directly on the line of cut is a much better idea !!!

I must say i was plannign to get a circular saw to use with my aluminium, but ill scratch that. the sawboard is very good indeed.

the thing is, (im from Cyprus and my wife is British) and she is back home to pack a container with her stuff for moving out here. so i though it would be a good idea to get a couple of tools in that container as tools here in Cyprus are very expensive compaired to the ones in UK !!!

i understand that they are teh lowest end tools and i always say that cheap tools aer not worth the hassle. but in this case the medium quality tool price is a big price difference which i cannot justify for my skills-needs at the moment. So...

i m definately making a sawboad to tackle larger wider peices of plywood-mdf, laminated pine etc but i still think im going to try and get the other tools (despite knowing that i will hatemyself for buying the cheap nasty quality) .im saying this cause my actual hoby is spearfishing and ive been making some wooden mahogany spearguns. i had to rely on the carpenter to rip and joint laminates of mahogany which i glue and make a speargun .... I thought that a table saw would come handy in that matter for some cuts !!!!

Thank you all for your ideas and advice...realy apreciated !!!

i have to do some hard thinkng now :? :?

Back